Discussion

Start Banana Pi without keyboard or monitor, or DHCP server

7 6529
Cubytus  
Hello there,

I'm trying to get familiar with the board, but so far have been unable to find a solution for that one.

On the Raspberry Pi, a simple edition in the cmdline.txt was enough to boot the RPi directly connected to the Ethernet port of the computer, with a 169.254.x.y IP address. However, the same modification on the Banana Pi fails to work. When I connected keyboard and monitor to check what was going on, the ifconfig command revealed the eth0 interface didn't take the 169.254.75.76 IP address I set in the file.

So what is the correct way to boot a Bpi, headless, and with only an Ethernet cable?
ups  
Post Last Edited by ups at 2014-8-12 00:49

HI there,

I'm nor sure if i really understand your problem. You connected your Raspberry to your computer via a Ethernet-Link (without a switch/hub/router)?

The Banan ignores the /boot/config.txt and uses the /boot/uEnv.txt file instead, maybe he ignores the
cmdline.txt too.

The RPi supports 100Mbit ethernet the Banana supports 1 GBit ethernet. As far as I knew a 1GBit connection can handle direct link without a switch/hub and without a corss-cable what a 100MBit connection can't (100MBit require a cross-cable or a switch/hub for a connection).

Can you post your modifications to the cmdline.txt? And maybe your complete network setup?

Cubytus  
That's right, no hub, so the network setup is really simple in that case: just one straight cat6 Ethernet cable.

Should the cmdline.txt be considered a legacy file, unused by the Banana Pi? Because the uEnv.txt file seems to follow a very similar structure. For testing, I added "ip=169.254.76.76" at the end of the file, and I got the same behavior as the Raspberry Pi, namely using the address provided as its local IP.

However, comparing with the Raspberry, editing cmdline.txt on the RPi, and uEnv.txt on the BPi, both work with a local IP address, with the same straight cable.

mamiko  
This is nice to have Banana connected to a laptop just with Ethernet cable as data link and USB cable for power. Looks like portable server solution for single user for me.

shashi  
Reply 4# mamiko

If you own Android Device, You could use Scanning tool like Fing on your Android Device.  This app will discover all devices connected to your network and it will display MAC address, IP and manufacturer details.

Cubytus  
Actually scanning the self-assigned possible IP range is very time-consuming. You're not talking about a 255.255.255.0 mask, but 255.255.0.0.

j-keck  
Post Last Edited by j-keck at 2014-8-16 01:50

how about https://github.com/j-keck/lsleases?

it's a dhcp leases sniffer

mamiko  
Reply 5# shashi

I am connected headless with putty, dont need to scan. All info on my screen ifconfig eth0.
Will use fing as soon I get wireless usb dongle.

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules