Add-ons

Burned diode D5

33 11844
It would be interesting to ascertain the failure mode of the flyback diode D5.
Is it reverse voltage exceeding the diode's rating or forward current or sth else?

Reply 20# sashijoseph

OK! I will try this on Friday (Holiday in Germany).
Thanks for the tipp!

Regards
   Erich

tosiara  
I didn't know this is so wide spread problem. But today I burned that freakin D5 too.
Board was working fine for a month and then suddenly burnt. Power is a regular 5V/2A.

I'm contacting the seller for replacement, but meanwhile would ask someone: if I replace that D5 - how long will it work until gets burned again?

Thanks

D5 burned - foto 3

D5 burned - foto 3

D5 burned - foto 2

D5 burned - foto 2

D5 burned - foto 1

D5 burned - foto 1

tosiara replied at Wed Nov 26, 2014 03:23
I didn't know this is so wide spread problem. But today I burned that freakin D5 too.
Board was wor ...

The D5 is for USB power function. The problem has been fixed on Banana Pro.

tosiara  
tony_zhang replied at Wed Nov 26, 2014 04:10
The D5 is for USB power function. The problem has been fixed on Banana Pro.

I didn't use USB at all. So why mine has burnt?
Mean, there was nothing connected to USB ports. I only used 5V2A Power plugged into "DC-IN" and Ethernet LAN

tosiara  
Here how I have replaced the burned D5. Since my 1N5819 was larger, I soldered "+" to "U14" hole which was near by and seemed to be the same contact
bananapi-replaced_d5.jpg

amjm88  
A better  marking code  website, now forgotten, I find it in you

erichabg replied at Fri Sep 26, 2014 02:57
I have the same problem too!
Using a powered USB-Hub which worked for months on the Raspberry Pi bur ...

a part of the diode 5 usually also burn u14 voltage regulator .
Try removing the u14 and banana pi resurrects

Same problem, plug an usb device (JMB321 Sata Mux) AXP209 become very hot, D5 burn (also U14 but this on don't smok).
Remplacing D5 by 1N5819 and removing U14 was the solution.

Thanks!

zoyoo  
Edited by zoyoo at Feb 19, 2016 08:14

I replaced my burned D5 with a 1N5819 , but my soldering skills lead to a big mess on C85 which may now be broken instead

IMG_20160219_145225.jpg
IMG_20160219_1452556.jpg

Measuring the D5 now gives me about 0,4V.
I have a USB Led light wich before my replacement led up at a verry low light no matter if the bpi was connected to the powersupply or not. Now it does not light up at all. This leads me into thinking that I broke the capacitor under D5...
Could this be the case and if yes: What capacitor do I need? Do I even need one?

btw: What do you guys mean by removing U14? Did you rip out that 6 pined thing and connected all the contacts?

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules