Bananian

Howto: Build and install a modified linux kernel directly on Bananian

33 25177
netbus  
silentcreek replied at Tue Oct 28, 2014 04:00
I think the comparison to a desktop computer is a fair one.

Just consider this: I set up a virtual  ...

Hello,
is there a short "how-to" to make a cross-compilation environment?
I am using ubuntu

T.S.  
Hello,
I am using ubuntu
There some reported here in forum. But failed every time in my case. What worked fine is compiling at the Bpi itself - but needs more then two hours.

If anybody could share a ready-to-run image for VirtualBox that would be great.

Edited by silentcreek at Wed Nov 5, 2014 01:12
netbus replied at Tue Nov 4, 2014 13:57
Hello,
I am using ubuntu

There is a howto for building the kernel, script.bin and u-boot:
http://wiki.lemaker.org/Building ... in_and_linux-kernel

This works fine for me on Ubuntu 14.04. I only built scipt.bin and the kernel though. I never tried u-boot.

Works fine for me

lmsilva  
This is GREAT info on how to recompile the existing kernel What about compiling a DIFFERENT kernel?
What if I want to try out a newer version? I'm guessing bananian applies some patches specific to the bananapi hardware..right?

Has anybody ever tried downloading and compiling a stock kernel using the /proc/config.gz that ships with bananian?

lmsilva replied at Wed Feb 4, 2015 23:38
This is GREAT info on how to recompile the existing kernel What about compiling a DIFFERENT kernel?

right and those patches haven't been ported to newer kernel. Mainline 3.19(-rcX) runs quite good (on the M1, router board untested) without any ports but HDMI is missing.

Edited by Mr_Blonde at Thu Feb 5, 2015 00:45

When compiling the current 3.19-rc7 kernel. Do I need to update uboot as well (from the one included with Bananian 15.01)? Or is it enough to just rename the old kernel and copy the new one onto the boot partition?

tkaiser  
lmsilva replied at Wed Feb 4, 2015 16:38

You should read the whole stuff regarding 3.18/3.19 here: http://www.igorpecovnik.com/2014/09/07/banana-pi-debian-sd-image/ (especially the changelog to see what's fixed in the meantime and where there are still issues present). Prior to building an own kernel I would check out Igor's most recent image, see if this is what you want and then start using his build system (you start with a single build.sh that will pull everything else via git and cross-compile it on a recent x86 Ubuntu version).

And beware of bugs. The most recent mainline u-boot build for example introduced a problem on sunxi. And you will spend many hours searching the problem elsewhere when you try out new parameters but the simple reason why today's build doesn't work any longer compared to yesterday's build is that the freshly checked out u-boot introduced a major flaw (BTDT trying to get the pcDuino3 nano into Igor's build scripts).

lmsilva  
Trust me, I do NOT want to compile the kernel unless absolutely necessary... )

I went down the road to compile the lastest kernel as Igor's doesn't include the ap6210 driver. When compiling, however, it fails to build the uImage file. Here is the output:
  1.   Kernel: arch/arm/boot/Image is ready
  2.   Building modules, stage 2.
  3.   Kernel: arch/arm/boot/zImage is ready
  4. multiple (or no) load addresses:
  5. This is incompatible with uImages
  6. Specify LOADADDR on the commandline to build an uImage
  7. make[1]: *** [arch/arm/boot/uImage] Error 1
Copy the Code
command:
  1. make -j3 uImage modules
Copy the Code
Any hints on how to solve this? I searched around the web but the only similar issues I found with LOADADDR were concerning multiple addresses rather then non. :-(

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules