Interfacing

Matt Patricia wants to keep his guys rested.

0 136
Matt Patricia wants to keep his guys rested. Ron Rivera wants to keep his dry.Both the Lions and the Panthers are having non-traditional work weeks http://www.panthersauthorizedshops.com/authentic-dontari-poe-jersey , in preparation for Sunday’s game.Via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, Patricia put the Lions through a walk-through instead of a normal day of practice. But that was a reaction to their upcoming schedule, which features a short week of prep before next week’s Thanksgiving game.“I think I told everybody that somewhere around Thanksgiving, having three games in 12 days, or whatever it is, we鈥檒l probably have some walk-through type practice in there to try to conserve ourselves physically here Jarius Wright Jersey ,” Patricia said. “I would say especially with a Carolina group that鈥檚 obviously a real physical football team coming in here and we鈥檙e coming off a stretch where we鈥檝e been on the road, playing some physical games. Just right thing to do for today.”The Panthers are just taking the day off to stay dry.With drenching rains settled into Charlotte all week, the Panthers are flipping the usual Thursday practice and Friday walk-through, since they don’t have an indoor facility.They’ve used local fitness centers, hotel ballrooms, stadium concourses and the nearby convention center in the past Authentic Da'Norris Searcy Jersey , on the few days per year weather is a factor in North Carolina.Panthers owner David Tepper has promised to build a new indoor facility for his new team, to keep them from being at a “competitive disadvantage.” Of course, it will be part of a mixed-use development project designed to funnel more revenue into his pockets, but some local municipality will end up forking over public money to help build it.Which means instead of the Panthers getting soaked a handful of days a year, taxpayers will sign up for the privilege year-round.New Panthers OC Norv Turner proves his worth in 31-21 win over Bengals With 20 receptions in the first two games we were already talking about running back Christian McCaffrey chances of breaking some kind of receptions record in 2018. The Bengals defensive coordinator certainly had to make it a focus of the defensive game plan; protect the edges and the flat in response to the Panthers’ propensity to run or pass to McCaffrey in those directions.New Panthers offensive coordinator Norv Turner made all that planning for naught. Instead Turner ran McCaffrey between the tackles to the tune of 184 yards on 28 carries, a whopping 6.6 yards per carry. If you were like me Youth Mike Adams Jersey , as the game wore on in the second half you probably thought “well now Newton will start to throw to McCaffrey in the flat”. Nope, it never happened. McCaffrey only caught two passes for 10 yards on the day, a huge departure from what the Panthers offense did in Weeks 1 and 2. The result of this effort is the Panthers lead the NFL in averaging 166 yards per game. That is Ron Rivera football right there.Let me throw some additional credit where it’s due. The patchwork offensive line did a great job of run blocking in this game. Also huge props to McCaffrey for his tough, tackle-breaking running. I read somewhere he averaged almost three additional yards after contact and had eight or 10 broken tackles. Can we please now stop with the ‘McCaffrey can’t run between the tackles’ narrative? He blew that up this past Sunday.On a related note here’s a graphic on McCaffrey’s directional success:Another reason I find the game plan genius is it took the pressure off the aforementioned patchwork line. With three starters out of the game the Panthers needed to avoid forcing Newton to stand in the pocket and win the game with his arm. Running the ball between the tackles did just that. The fact Newton was under a lot of pressure when he dropped back to pass supports this notion. Here are the PFF grades for the Panthers’ three fill-in starters on the offensive line:I should add that right tackle Taylor Moton was the Panthers’ top graded player on offense and even made the All Offense Team for PFF this week. I imagine Turner looked at this group of fill-ins and realized we had to run the ball in order to win this game. That turned out to be an advantage since it was the opposite of the Panthers’ film from the first two games. Advantage Panthers.I could get used to this whole ‘out game planning the competition’ stuff.

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules