Other OS

Core Ubuntu Server 14.04 Image

51 33553
Hello! I cannot su or sudo to root. Is anyone else having this problem?

cgen  
Thank you ! It's very useful.

combatwombat replied at Thu Oct 23, 2014 16:16
Hello! I cannot su or sudo to root. Is anyone else having this problem?

Pleas try with "su root" or with "sudo su". I do everything as root, so I do not have this problem.
But there is a way to circumvent this problem. But I'm not sure which of the two it was. Please give me about it if it does not work.

DL01  
Edited by DL01 at Tue Oct 28, 2014 14:24

Hi Michiboy,

I wonder how your image could help me...

I want to build a Kubuntu image, complete with a selection of applications (LibreOffice, Audacity, Gimp, some basic web tools, educational applications, etc.) The idea is to install several full computer labs of Banana Pis and use them in parallel with an existing, more "conventional", room in which we use Kubuntu on Dell computers.

The project is based in Togo, in the poor rural area of Kuma (but then, all of Togo is very poor).
We already have 2 computer rooms operational, the first one since 2012, the second, that was completed last summer, being a Raspberry Pi room... (if you are interested, you can read more about the project itself here : http://kuma-ci-en.blogspot.com -- even though this blog has not been updated for a while).

A while ago, I managed to transform the Banana Pi Lubuntu image into Kukuntu (using synaptic)... To my surprise, the result is *very* encouraging ! Such a setup would be perfect to introduce ICT in a middle/high school in less fortunate environments. However, the image I built is not perfect (my Linux skills are not sufficient yet to know precisely what I can remove or not -- what must be added or not). There are a few glitches, such as the impossibility to add plasma widgets, and also a problem getting out of "screen saver" mode.

I wanted to repeat the process from scratch using your "barebone" Ubuntu image and to transform it into a working Kubuntu... I tried very hard last weekend, but it looks like it is difficult to use even the simple apt, and to know exactly what to add to build the image...I wasted a lot of time and frustrations (I tried to install python-software-properties, but that failed... I could not find the appropriate ppa, etc.)

Do you think your image a good starting point for this or am I going th wrong direction ? If it is, could you give me a few hints about how to start on a sound basis ?

Oh, by the way...

1. The image I need to build must be, in the end, in French. But localization didn't seem too difficult to achieve through a bit of trial and errors with the first image I modified ;

2. based on my own experience in the field in Africa (I spent a full year working at the project, in the middle of the bush), I am convinced that, if such an image was available (Kubuntu, with a good selection of applications, in several languages...) it could attract many schools in developing countries (but perhaps also in developed countries !)
Our small team is, of course, ready to share our experience and our pedagogical resources with anyone who would be interested in them for "not-for-profit" purposes... We are 100% "not-for-profit".

What do you think ?

DL

linux34  
Plase can you testing cubian.org img. in banana Pi?

Cubian is perfect linux for arm boards..
Im waiting your answer..

Erdogan
ARMTurkey.com

DL01 replied at Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:24
Hi Michiboy,

I wonder how your image could help me...

Hi

I think my image is a good base for your project. However, my image has a large number of repositories not includet that are normally in Ubuntu here. The add the repos and re-install the software therefore probably requires a lot of time. However, it is certainly worth a try, as my Image has installed only the most necessary.

linux34 replied at Sat Nov 1, 2014 10:04
Plase can you testing cubian.org img. in banana Pi?

Cubian is perfect linux for arm boards..

Hi, I can try to create a cubi image, but do I need the root fs of the operating system. If you can get me this, I can try my luck.

DL01  
I think my image is a good base for your project. However, my image has a large number of repositories not includet that are normally in Ubuntu here. The add the repos and re-install the software therefore probably requires a lot of time. However, it is certainly worth a try, as my Image has installed only the most necessary.

Would you help me find out what the appropriate repositories are that you did not include in your version ?
I do not mind the time it would take for me to complete the OS and to install the appropriate applications. And, once completed, I'll make it available to anyone who might be interested in using it.

DL

DL01 replied at Mon Nov 3, 2014 02:39
Would you help me find out what the appropriate repositories are that you did not include in your  ...

You can try to install a software. If something does not work you can give me about it.

a1d3s  
hi what kernel is in there?

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules