Banana Pi wont boot on Android images (solved)

34 15471
surix  
Post Last Edited by surix at 2014-8-31 12:20

Dear Forum members,
After quite a few frustrating attempts to start Android on Banana pi, I decide to come here for help.

Situation is that:
1. I downloaded android image from lemaker.org and from this forum, both 4.2 and 4.4 beta 1;
2. I strictly followed the instruction of burning sd card with Phoenixcard; even tried different versions of Phoenixcard;
3. I tried on different computers (windows 7 32bit and 64bit) to burn sd cards, different sd cards (sandisk extreme pro, samsung and no brand), different card readers (USB 3.0, USB 2.0, laptop internal reader)
4. I use high quality power source (Philips 5V 2.1A charger, Apple original USB charger)

But it doesn't seem to boot at all - nothing appeared on the screen (connected directly via HDMI cable), only red LED is on, no blinking red LED.

Linux images (raspbian, bananian) works fine without any problem.

Any thoughts about the possible problems?

Thank you very much!

Surix
bad SD card adapter?

Reply 1# surix

If the green LED doesn't come up,try pressing the reset button on the board...works for some.

Since linux is working fine I think the sdcard adapter should be ok.

surix  
Post Last Edited by surix at 2014-8-30 02:32

Hello,

Thank you for the input.

About the SD card adaptor, you mean the mini sd -> sd adaptor? I dont use that. Or it's about the sd card reader? I have 5 of them at home and I try them all... If you mean the sd adaptor on the banana pi, then linux images are working on banana pi without any issue...

About the reset button - I pushed all the buttons and each time waited long enough time to see the reaction - power, reset, uboot....

Worth to mention that I also tried the Win32diskimager image in other thread of this forum without success...

Surix

Reply 1# surix

a) red led didn't blink on any system
b) green led didn't blink on android system
c) when you use android 4.4 (only), you should connect power source ALSO by USB OTG
d) when you have connected any USB accesories (for example USB wifi dongle) - unplug it

It should work fine

surix  
Thank you very much for the reply.

a) red led didn't blink on any system    Yes, it blink one time when you push reset button, joking...
b) green led didn't blink on android system    Good to know, when I try with Android it is never on. On Linux systems it's blinking correctly
c) when you use android 4.4 (only), you should connect power source ALSO by USB OTG   L) Yes I did it, but it doesnt help
d) when you have connected any USB accesories (for example USB wifi dongle) - unplug it    I tried the combination with/without USB accessories

surix  
Post Last Edited by surix at 2014-9-1 01:22

Post Last Edited by surix at 2014-8-31 13:32

I have found the solution and successfully booted Android... FINALLY....

So my mistake is that i suppose my screen should work under Android because it worked under Bananian and Raspbian...............

OK, here is the thing:
1. Green LED on my banana pi never turn on while using android, so don't rely on it to see if system is booted or not;
2. My screen (LG Flatron IPS231) has DVI input, but when connected to banana pi's HDMI output, it doesnt work (blank screen) under Android while it works for Linux images
3. I used a HDMI-VGA converter (with chip, not simple convertor), then banana pi shutdown itself after 5 seconds of power on - solution is use two power supplies, one in to DC in and one into USB OTG
4, I used image from Matrix.

Hope this can help others.

Best regards,
Surix

peetr04  
Reply 7# surix

In  this case something is not ok with your configuration. I use the BPI with one adapter on the power input port (not on OTG) and android image and hdmi to vga adapter without any problem.
Your power off after 5 second problem like same when a people plug the power adapter only to the OTG port.

What kind of adapter you use?

mattrix  
Android HDMI output does NOT work with DVI Adapters.

surix  
@peetr04  I use the cheap adaptor you can find on Ebay... When 5V1A charger is used banana pi turns off after 5 seconds, then I switched to 5V 2.1A charger or 2 x 5V 1A charger it works without problem. Correct DC-in port is used.

@mattrix  I learn it the hard way...

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules