Add-ons

sata line for banana pi

20 11067
Post Last Edited by SebastianB at 2014-8-18 11:30

I have a SATA spinning disk (Seagate Momentus 2.5" 320GB laptop disk) - no SSD - and a cable as pictured above +5v on the right side. The disk sais "+5V 0.451A". I tried different power supplies for the BPi,  rated 2.4  (LVSUN 10 port in 5 port mode) or 2.1 A (EasyACC K5B25) but without any success to make the disk work, not spinning up. When I attach an external power supply to the disk, things work all well. Is there a max power rating for the SATA disk?

T.S.  
BPi has two micro USB Connetcors. Make sure the power is NOT connected to USB OTG on BPI's small side. The right one is between SATA and SATA POWER.

Post Last Edited by SebastianB at 2014-8-18 11:30

I have a SATA spinning disk (Seagate Momentus 2 ...
SebastianB Posted at 2014-8-18 18:29

There is a coil (between power in, and sata power) to filtering voltage. But it has to much resistance, and some disk didn't start. On my coil and my disk was 0.8V voltage drop... And its too much. Disk did't run.

BPi has two micro USB Connetcors. Make sure the power is NOT connected to USB OTG on BPI's small sid ...
T.S. Posted at 2014-8-19 10:50

Yes, thank you. This was the very first mistake I made when powering up the board the very first time All further attempts have been made with power supply attached to micro usb next to SATA port. Btw, I also cut the plastic from the SATA power cable so I can plug it in twisted, i.e. red wire on the left side instead of the right side. But no difference.

Reply 13# sylwek2k

Ah, this is good information. I was able to measure 4.8V only on the SATA power outlet and already wondering if this is good enough and why it is not +5V, even when no other USB or Network is attached. So now I need to search for a micro-usb to SATA power adaptor to attach the disk separately ...

Hello everyone,
My HDD is in a beautiful case and has the eSATA , is supplied with power and idle integrated with this case.
Which type of cable do i need? eSata <--> ???

Thanks for your help and comments

Hello everyone,
My HDD is in a beautiful case and has the eSATA , is supplied with power and idle in ...
rammstan Posted at 2014-9-10 01:21

you need esata <-> sata cable.

Somebody knows the type of that molex stecker? Can't find them...

Suman  
I recently used the cubieboard 3.5" connection kit since the banana Pi cable was not available locally. But I had to reverse the 5V cable polarity on the board connector, otherwise the board does not power up at all. Also this means we leave the 12V cable (yellow) unconnected as well as leave the 12V supply board aside if you are using only a 2.5" SSD/HDD.

If you decide to use a 3.5" HDD then you will need to connect that 12v cable to the 12V supply board and it should work.

ridho13  
hello,
I got my banana pi with a Cubieboard's SATA cable. I did not know that the cable was inverted/reversed, then I power on the board. I think something was burned (maybe).

After I read this thread I swapped the cable, the Banana Pi is ok, booting directly to the Ubuntu OS, but I can not detect the HDD (the HDD is ok when I use in PC).

What should I do to fix it? Do I need to replace a component? Which one?
Thank you

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules