Trouble

3 day old B-Pi seems to be dead......

42 13296
Post Last Edited by roses2at at 2014-9-15 08:39

My B-Pi is unresponsive and seems to be playing dead......and after only using it for 3 days - having waited 10 days after ordering for it to arrive!!!

Worked fine with many Linux images (only via HDMI-DMI cable) and Android 4.2.2 (only via AV Video to analogue TV).

Power supply is 5V and 2A and is brand new!!

Two cards being used: a 16GB Class 4 SanDisk micro SDHC in Sandisk adapter (also tried with an Intenso adapter); and an 8GB Class 10 SanDisk Ultra normal size SDHC. Both worked without issue up till now.

This is what happened and this is what I did.

I was using Lubuntu when that OS crashed (mouse did not move cursor and clock time did not change for more than 30 minutes) so I pressed reset switch for 1 second.

Red light came on but no green light and it didn't reboot.

Tried different card with a known to be working Android 4.2 image. Still only red light (steady, not flashing), no green light.

Tried again with formatting a card (SD Formatter) then burning (Win32DiskImager) the Raspbian for B-Pi image - no boot.

Tried other Linux images from Downloads section. No success.

With SD card in slot, power on, the red light is on, press Reset for one second. Red light flashes, no boot.

Press Power switch for 5 seconds to completely shutdown, press again for one second, no boot.

Unplug micro USB from DC In, try again all the above. Try a different power supply. No boot
As far as I know, there was no static discharge nearby (but of course there does not need to be a visible spark).

I think it might be similar to http://forum.lemaker.org/2392-1-2-dram_error_please_reset_the_board__.html

But I don't know how to do the "serial console with Uboot procedure" (I think it needs a Linux computer and special cables to J11 via a TTL console, or??).

Any ideas? Or is it defective and I need to send it back to the supplier (in China!!!)??

Serial number is A202014061106834. Can someone at LeMaker check with the factory if there are any problems for other B-Pi's near this number?

Thanks.
Hi rose, please contact Cathy, and ask her to send you a new one. And please send back the picture of the serial console output to me, I will check.

Thanks Tony, it seems you already contacted Cathy on my behalf and she has already responded.

Sorry, I cannot send you a picture of the serial console for 3 reasons:
1) I don't have a Linux computer and don't know how to do TTL in Windows
2) I don't have the correct cables to connect to the B-Pi (and don't even know where to buy them or what their name is in the local language where I live)
3) I have no idea how to do this procedure.

Reply 4# actkk2000
Interesting references, but they all seem to be referring to connecting the B-Pi to a Linux PC and using a special cable, and just to reiterate, I have neither.

Even if I did have the cable, I would need simple step by step instructions on how to do this in Windows.

Oh, sry, I forgot to mention:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafr ... ing-a-console-cable
You can also buy stuff there...

It would be more useful if you could point me to the correct (and cheapest) TTL-USB converter cable from Amazon (continental Europe) rather than Adafruit which I believe is based in New York USA.

Also, this article is for the R-Pi. Can someone else apart from actkk2000 confirm that this cable and procedure works also for the B-Pi. (I assume that the pin assignments on the GPIO headers on both Pi's are exactly the same.........but being new to all this I can't be sure.)

But yes, those setup and usage instructions seem clear and easy to follow. Thx.

Post Last Edited by roses2at at 2014-9-17 02:29

Reply 7# roses2at

And now that I've had a bit of time to study the pin assignments carefully according to http://wiki.lemaker.org/Pin_definition, I'm slightly more confused.

On GPIO CON3, there are pins for 3.3V, TXD and RXD, and two 5V pins.

On GPIO J12 there are the pins for the same 4 things.

And on GPIO J11 there are TXD And RXD pins.

Which to use? Can I mix and match eg 5V on CON3, 3.3V on J12 and TXD/RXD on J11?

Please could one of the forum members write a CLEAR and AUTHORITATIVE version of the Adafruit tutorial but adapting it for the Banana Pi and put it in the appropriate Wiki section (would that be http://wiki.lemaker.org/Testing maybe??).

Post Last Edited by actkk2000 at 2014-9-17 06:51

As for TTL cable you can use Adafruit's as a reference to look for a compatible PL2303HX serial interface in Amazon or Aliexpress, there is Google to help you on that. I am sure you will find something cheaper.
As for Banana Pi pinout, I used this as a guide to connect I2C devices and also for wiringPi:
http://hardware-libre.fr/2014/07/banana-pi-gpio-now-supported/
GPIO CON3 is a perfect match to Raspberry Pi GPIO connector and therefore you can apply Raspberry Pi instructions to Banana Pi, there is no difference in GPIO definition. You can treat BananaPi as a RaspberryPi.

@Roses2at

Since your board is not booting according to post1,you would want to use use the serial debug port to monitor boot messages.
J11 is the debug port.

So just connect the RX and TX pins of the PL2303 cable to the J11 port,the GND pin of the cable to any GND pin on the BPi(the one on J12 would do).

Connect the USB end of the cable to your windows PC,switch on your BPi and use Putty in Windows to monitor the boot messages.

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules