Discussion

How to use SSH to login your Banana PI

3 14286
Post Last Edited by tony_zhang at 2014-5-7 18:46

Sometimes HDMI is not necessary, for example we want to use our Banana Pi to act as a home server, so we can configure our Banana Pi through SSH.
In the two image from the Downloads, BananaPi_For_Cubieboard_v1.0.tgz and BananaPi_For_RaspberryPi_v1.0.tgz, the SSH server is installed default and start with boot.  So generally we can not configure the SSH on board.
If the SSH is not installed, we can install it use the command below:
  1. sudo apt-get install openssh-server
Copy the Code
We can check whether the SSH is started:
  1. ps -e | grep ssh
Copy the Code
If sshd is output, so the SSH sever has started. But if no sshd outuput, we should start it:
  1. /etc/init.d/ssh start
Copy the Code
Stop the SSH sever we can use:
  1. /etc/init.d/ssh stop
Copy the Code
Restart the SSH sever we can use:
  1. /etc/init.d/ssh restart
Copy the Code
We can set the SSH sever to start when the Banana Pi boot:
  1. nano /etc/rc.local
Copy the Code
Add /etc/init.d ssh start before exit 0.

After configure the SSH in the board, we can now use our Banana Pi without HDMI.
Use SSH, you should plug the enthernet to your Banana Pi.

Under windows, we can download a free SSH client such as Putty to remote login our Banana Pi.
Start Putty on your PC, and then enter the IP address of your Bananapi:
QQ截图20140405144342.png
And then click Open to connect to your Banana Pi. And then enter the username and password to complete verification.
QQ截图20140405145031.png

If your PC OS is  Ubuntu, it is easier to login your Banana Pi, we don't need putty:
  1. ssh remote_username@remote_host
Copy the Code
remote_username is the user name on Banana Pi such as Pi, the remote_host is the Banana Pi IP address.
wjj  
Good,I want to try it after I go home

erix  
Hi,

I'm just discovering this board and thif forum today.
so excuse me in advance for any naive question.

just one thing, when you write this:
sudo apt-get install openssh-server

1/ was is the Linux distro name are you using?
2/ what are you depots (repositories) for softwares ? when you do an "apt-get install xxx", the command will
make a query to different servers for downloading the "*.deb" you're looking for.  correct?
tha ambiguity is coming first from the name of the 2 "distros" that are available on this website and as well the
name of the board itself.  Why put "Pi" in it?  a Real Raspberry Pi as far as I know runs a processor BCMXX
from Broadcom and Cubiboard from Alwinner.  That's making the confusion....

I did not know a binary compiled for a Broadcom was compatible on an Allwinner processor.... ??  is that true??

I think we need here a bit of clarification.
when you installed the openssh deamon package, what "depot" did you use?
what is the content of your sources.list file?

Thanks in advance for giving us answers.
Regards
Erix

PS: In general maners, because the name of the 2 "distros" available on this website, it's difficult to understand
things about this A20 Banana board. It would be great if the moderator or the creators of this board could give
us more informations. (uboot/ nand tool/ FEX/ is it hardware and software Opensource projet ?  etc etc)

This is a simple way to use the board. I have tried it.

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules