Add-ons

SATA Part 2

19 4957
Anyone else like to share some info about using a 3.5 inch SATA HDD and taking the power from the B-Pi? Or must such a drive always be externally powered?

If you let me, here a couple more thing about 3.5" hard drives...

Although I never connected one to Cubietruck, I bought this just in case, because 3.5" hard drives also need 12v:
http://cubieboard.org/2013/09/24/how-to-support-3-5-inch-hdd-on-cubieboard/

As for SSD, I have one on my PC but it is 2.5", and as far as I know just need 5v for power but less Amps than a regular HDD

In conclusion, you will need an external power source for 3.5" hard drives, at least for 12v and maybe 5v because of the extra Amps that may need.

Some links that explain the same:
http://forum.lemaker.org/viewthread.php?tid=41
http://forum.lemaker.org/viewthread.php?tid=1487

Or you may try to power BPI through sata power connector, but maybe is dangerous (second picture):
http://forum.lemaker.org/viewthread.php?tid=707

Powering a 3,5" Drive won't work because 5 volts and 12(!) volts are needed. BPi only supplies 5 volts.

Excellent point!! D'oh!! Of course.

Case solved.............................

tkaiser  
If you have a 12V power supply (I use a TP-Link TL-POE200 for this purpose) you might give this solution a try: http://www.cubietruck.com/products/3-5-inch-hdd-addon-package

Reply 15# tkaiser

I think your suggestion is the same thing as mentioned in Post #12 by actkk2000.
Anyway, my OP was concerned with powering a 2.5 inch SATA SSD or HDD from the B-Pi and whether a 5V/2A power supply would be sufficient.

For me, I have no plans at the moment to connect a 3.5 inch HDD because, as balou1974 in Post #13 quite rightly pointed out, both 5V and 12V are required for that kind of drive. In that case, it's just simpler to find an old PSU from a desktop computer and use that to power it. Not as elegant or professional looking as the Cubieboard solution I grant you, but just as effective.

Thx anyway...............

tkaiser  
Reply 16# roses2at

Yes, it's the same Cubie add-on. I just wanted to point out that you need a 12V power source also. And using an older desktop PSU might not be a good idea since these PSUs are very inefficient under 'almost idle' load conditions. PoE (Power over Ethernet) might be a solution as long as the PoE source (switch or PoE injector) provides enough power. Especially important for HDD spin-up.

The voltage of PoE splitters like the aforementioned TL-POE10R can be adjusted (5/9/12V in this case) so they're able to power a Banana or other low-power gadgets directly or in conjunction with the Cubie add-on (12V in, 12V --> HDD, 5V --> BananaPi).

Reply 17# tkaiser

these PSUs are very inefficient under 'almost idle' load conditions.

Interesting - I did not know that.

Do you mean by 'inefficient' that

1) they don't work properly and therefore might not give enough start-up current to a 3.5 inch HDD

or

2) that they waste a lot of energy in this particular setup and are not very 'green'?

tkaiser  
Reply 18# roses2at

Both ;-)

Since most ATX PSUs need specific loads on the different voltage rails to power up at all this might be the first problem (you might use the 5V standby from the PSU to power just the BananaPi -- remember that an older desktop PSU draws more power from the wall even when it's completely "switched off" than a BananaPi under normal circumstances, see http://hardware-libre.fr/2014/06 ... d-sata-performance/ for example)

Given you have a 300W rated PSU and connect it to a BananaPi + a decent 'green' HDD then this setup will require under most loads less than 3 percent with maximum peaks still below 5 percent. The efficiency ratings of PSUs are only valid in a range between 40 and 80 percent usage and define nothing below 20 percent. The lower the consumption the lesser the efficiency. An old PSU might need multiple times the power from the wall that it supplies to a Banana Pi + HDD because normally you would have to use a '10 watt, 10 ohm wire wound load resistor' to create the necessary load that the PSU decides to switch on at all.

xiaoou  
20180424 xiaoou
christian louboutin outlet
jordan 3
air force 1
mbt shoes outlet
adidas outlet
ralph lauren outlet
ray ban sunglasses
air max trainers
ugg boots clearance
polo ralph lauren