Discussion

Wishlist for the B-Pi version 2

55 14969
Post Last Edited by roses2at at 2014-10-6 10:06

We the end users love our Banana Pi's very much.

However, we sincerely hope that the team at LeMaker is already looking to the future and currently and actively developing version 2 of our favourite SBC to keep one step ahead of their competitors - and please their customers too!!

So what do the forum readers think should be changed and improved upon (or maybe even removed) in this possible next version?

My opinion is this:

1) Four USB ports (instead of the current two) à la R-Pi B-plus.............oh, and make them USB 3.0/3.1, not just USB 2.0

2) Perhaps a more than two-core processor like the Cubieboard 8 has?? Or dual core but 2 x 1.5GHz??

Personally, I think 1GB DDR3 DRAM is sufficient for most purposes and applications on a Pi, especially if you only want to use it as a server or a media centre, so this doesn't really need to be upgraded. But an embedded software facility like Vista's ReadyBoost (a disk caching system that allows you to use any mass storage device eg a USB stick to reduce the load on the RAM) would possibly be useful.
snypa  
Wow! Didn't knew about the cubieboard 8 until now. Any ideia about the price?
I feel like those upgrades could really hurt the final price of the product since the bananapi it's a alternative for the raspberry pi. Even now, it still more expensive but with more power. And since it's a hardware focusing in educational purposes, the software side should be more important. But i really would like to see a similar approach by lemaker. Damn! Now you made me curious about the GPU in this cubieboard 8.

ryad  
Post Last Edited by ryad at 2014-10-4 02:29

I'd buy a next generation BPi immediately if following requirements would be fulfilled

- "Real" Gbit/s network (yet I don't know, if any ARM based SoC on the current market is capable to to that)
- enough CPU performance to make (nearly) full use of the Gbit/s NIC
- a GPU that supports accelerated XBMC/Kodi like GC2000
- price under $100
- optionally: For me, 1x USB 3.0 would be really great, but not required
- optionally: Maybe an eSATA interface, as my SATA cable disconnects too easily

Would be awesome if the previous requirements could be fulfilled by a next generation BPi, but personally I don't think, that it's necessary to announce a new BPi the next two or three quarters. I have the feeling, it's more important to push the current Banana Pi, especially the community, so that we may fix the current problems with the BPi (e.g. XBMC) all together.
Edit: Typo

Post Last Edited by ryad at 2014-10-4 02:29
- "Real" Gbit/s network
- enough CPU performance to make (nearly) full use of the Gbit/s NIC
ryad Posted at 4-10-2014 09:27 AM

The B-Pi can do true 1GB.

Please see the answer to Question 17 at the FAQ:

http://wiki.lemaker.org/FAQ

or go directly to:

http://forum.lemaker.org/2817-1-1-raspbian_3_1_how_to_force_gigabit_for_eth0_.html

If your current Pi is not achieving "real" Gbit/s speed, it's possible you don't have the correct cable(s) and/or external hardware.

Don't get angry if that is not true, I'm only saying what I've read before about people having problems in this area.

Post Last Edited by roses2at at 2014-10-4 10:03
Didn't knew about the cubieboard 8 until now. Damn! Now you made me curious about the GPU in this cubieboard 8
snypa Posted at 4-10-2014 08:54 AM

Go for it!!!! Go and buy one, and then give us a report about both of them side by side, like this:

http://hardware-libre.fr/2014/06/raspberry-vs-banana-hardware-duel/

Regarding price and availability, do some Googling and post your findings here for various regions in world (US, UK, Europe, Asia, Oz, etc). Not sure if the Moderators would approve of 'promoting' the buying of a competitor's product in their forum, but you can give it a try.

ryad  
@roses2at: I don't get angry no worry I did network tests for myself (with definitely Gbps capable hardware) and achieved about 550 MBit/s. In your mentioned thread the maximum is about 650 Mbps. Of course is this far better than the 100 Mbps from a RPi but still not around 900-1000 Mbps. I'm satisfied with the network speed, as I get around 40 MB/s when transferring files via Samba. In my opinion "real" Gbps could reach far better numbers (I speak about 100 MB/s). For me, this would really be lovely

could really hurt the final price of the product
snypa Posted at 4-10-2014 08:54 AM

But people are already prepared to pay a few more pounds/dollars/Euros for the higher-end specs of a B-Pi rather than an R-Pi (me included).

And the more people want it, the lower the price will become.

The R-Pi Foundation has already made it clear there will be no newer version of the B-plus for a long time as they are currently concentrating solely on software development.

So this is really a BIG chance for LeMaker and SinoVoip to strike while the iron is hot and try and make large inroads into the comparative sales figures of both Pi's (3 million and counting for the latter, as of June 2014).

@roses2at: achieved about 550 MBit/s.........but still not around 900-1000 Mbps.
ryad Posted at 4-10-2014 10:14 AM

Please post your concerns in the Troubleshooting section of the forum (there doesn't really seem to be a section for 'Networking issues' - perhaps we need one?).
I really am the wrong person to talk to about this.

I'm sure Tony or one of the other people who already use 1 Gbit/s systems can help you.

tkaiser  
The B-Pi can do true 1GB.

Unfortunately not. The NIC will negotiate at GBit speed but throughput will be below the theoretical maximum (never measured anything above 940-950 MBits/sec between GBit NICs). I've been able to get approx. 470 MBits/sec utilizing a single CPU core at 100%. Even with two parallel transmissions the maximum can not be reached (and meanwhile the BPi can not handle anything else since it's completely busy doing the network stuff): http://kaiser-edv.de/tmp/ooy7qm/iperf-results.txt

The GMAC inside the A20 (or its driver) seem to be rather primitive compared to 'state of the art' NICs (using a TOE and therefore freeing up the CPU). If you want decent network speeds with ARM SoCs you have to pick a Marvell Kirkwood (they provide both sufficient SATA and network throughput. Every lowend ARM based NAS and eg. GlobalScales *Plug devices and their successors use these).

BTW: Since you mentioned more USB ports and especially the RasPi B+: I never ever want it this way since on the RasPi there is only one single USB interface available on the CPU which is then connected to a cheap USB switch with integrated 10/100 Ethernet controller. This is the main reason why a RasPi as NAS is way too slow. Bulky USB traffic and Ethernet USB based and everything sharing the same bandwidth.

Reply 2# snypa

http://cubieboard.org/2014/05/04/cubietech-will-promote-a80-high-performance-mini-pc/

Does this whet your appetite even more?

But don't hold your breath, those are computer-generated 3D images and it doesn't even look like it has gone into production yet, if the comments further down that page are anything to go by.

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules