Discussion

Wishlist for the B-Pi version 2

55 14535
tkaiser  
Reply 29# destroyedlolo

better CPU power

It's all about the SoC: And since there isn't any Allwinner SoC available with the same feature set as the A20 (same GPU, SATA) providing more CPU power the whole discussion about more performance is pretty useless: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allwinner_Technology#A-Series

If the A33 would contain SATA and would be adopted by the linux-sunxi community (which never happened with its older sibling A31 and will not happen with the A33 either) then it would be an ideal candidate for a 2nd BananaPi revision. But this is not the case. Regarding A80 status and linux... currently unknown: http://sunxi.org/A80#Cubietech_Kernel (and no SATA of course)

Reply 30# roses2at

As to the question of why the pricing structure across the continents is different, that is something I cannot comment on. Did you not have to pay customs duty/import tax on your purchase from AliExpress?

There is no taxes for import below 150E (at least in France, duno for other European countries but I guess it's the same).
In the other hand, distributors are paying a reduced price ("large volume") but have to add the VAT : all in all, selling a nude bPI > 55E, is not fair at all. I only found a distributor selling < 50E on our continent (a german one).
But the margin on bPI is nothing compared with the margins they take on cables, connectors, discrets ... It can be considered as a simple rip-off !

What J11/J12 cables are you looking for? Do you mean the PL2303 USB to TTL adaptor cable? I got mine for 2€ plus 3€ shipping - still waiting for it to arrive though).
Not quite sure what kind of CON3 cables you want? A breakout box? A breadboard? I'm sure these are also fairly inexpensive.

Taking in account there is no GND on J12, you need to take it or from CON3 or from J11 ... preventing to connect a ribbon cable.
My solution was to use an (home made) 6x2 cable and then, I will add a level converter for the console on a daughter board (J11 serial is used to track my electricity using my provider smart counter).

My suggestion is to propose a "DIYer" offer with both the bPI + a power supply + a 26-26 ribbon + a to be solder 26p male connector + 6x2 cable with obstructed hole for missing pin of J12 with an aggressive price.
I'm pretty sure it will make the bPI THE choice for people wanting to start hardware hacking.

Aah, those sort of cables would be beyond my knowledge I'm afraid, and as I have very few brain cells I won't be one of those joining you in some 'hardware hacking'.

Did you already try putting those last 2 paragraphs into a new thread in the sub-forum 'Interfacing' with a request for assistance?

Maybe someone there can help, or perhaps Julie the Moderator can put you in touch with someone.

It's all about the SoC:
tkaiser Posted at 5-10-2014 02:05 PM

So what you might gain from one type of upgrade to please person A, that might mean you lose out on another feature which would displease person B.

But hey, by talking about it we can reach some sensible decisions and compromises too perhaps. Or??

And in the end it's not our decision anyway, but LeMaker's, and it's all just Pi in the Sky (pun fully intended!!) and possibly will never happen. Who knows??

tkaiser  
I'm pretty sure it will make the bPI THE choice for people wanting to start hardware hacking.

Since you already mentioned Europe: There are so many alternatives available, using the same SoC and being really open source hardware eg. https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/A20/

tkaiser  
Reply 34# roses2at

by talking about it

...one can learn a bit

Montala  
Since you already mentioned Europe: There are so many alternatives available, using the same SoC a ...
tkaiser Posted at 2014-10-6 02:27

There are indeed... but do they all receive the support from both the manufacturer and the community that we do with the Banana Pi?... and this is a Banana Pi Forum after all!                    (Sorry... going off-topic again! )

https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/A20/
tkaiser Posted at 6-10-2014 09:27 AM

@ tkaiser
Do you have one of these Olimexes yourself?

I only heard about them yesterday when I stumbled upon it by accident while I was looking for something else entirely on the Internet.

If you do have one (or someone else who is reading this thread does), please give us all the details: price, value for money, key and important specs, what you (people in general) can do with it, what you (personally) do or intend to do with it, advantages & disadvantages, accessories available, quality of tech support and user community, any other relevant infos.

(Might be better to put this in a new thread in Forum>>>Others>>>Off-topic discussion as LeMaker may not appreciate us doing so in the main part of the forum. and besides, that sub-forum has never been used - no threads, no replies, no views - since its inception, so it would be nice to christen it.)

tkaiser  
Reply 37# Montala

do they all receive the support from both the manufacturer and the community that we do with the Banana Pi?

It depends. And in my opinion this community (both 'end users' and developers) is way more important than technical details since an active community and a wide user base is necessary especially for inexperienced users.

Montala  
@tkaiser

I entirely agree with you... that's what I was getting at really!

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules