Android 4.2 For BananaPi------SD Card Setup

111 172966
dwirish  
Still no luck.

Is it possible that the image I've downloaded is corrupted, or I'm using the wrong program to unzip them? I have 7-Zip, and IZarc. I've downloaded the Raspbian and Ubuntu images just fine and unzipped them with those, and had no problem.

any ideas?

ChrisP  
dwirish replied at Mon Dec 22, 2014 18:56
Still no luck.

Is it possible that the image I've downloaded is corrupted, or I'm using the wrong  ...

Where does the image you try come from ?

Did you try alternate images, like the version from Mattrix available on this forum ?

dlanor  
Edited by dlanor at Tue Dec 23, 2014 03:23
dwirish replied at Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:56
Still no luck.

Is it possible that the image I've downloaded is corrupted, or I'm using the wrong  ...

The possibility of corruption in transfer or unpacking obviously exists (in an imperfect world it always does), but it seems unlikely from your description. Personally though, I've used WinRAR for all my unpacking of BPi images, so that's the only tool I can confirm here. I'm not familiar with IZarc at all, but 7-Zip has a good reputation at least, though I've never used it for packages this large.

In a case like this I think it's most useful to examine the most common causes of problems for people in the past:

1: Incorrect usage of the PhoenixCard program.
There are several simple pitfalls as follows:
1a: Skipping the setting of "Startup !" mode before using any command which affects SD card. (or doing it with another mode set)
1b: Skipping the "Format to Normal" command before using the "Burn" command.
1c: Not waiting for completion popup of format command before using the "Burn" command.
1d: Not waiting for final "Burn End..." message before removing card or terminating program
NB: The PhoenixCard program will not give error messages for most of the above cases, though they all ruin the flashed image.

2: Insufficient SD card quality.
Cards below class10 should simply not be used for Android, though they may work with other OS.

3: Insufficient PSU power.
I recommend using a PSU capable of delivering more than 1A, preferably a lot more. (Mine is 2.1 A)
Naturally this becomes even more important with additional hardware (USB dongles, SATA HDD, etc).
If an HDD is used, power MUST be applied to the micro-USB connector between the HDD power and data connectors.
The other micro-USB connector can power the BPi alone, but not an HDD.

4: Failure to 'kick start' images that need it.
Some images do not auto-start simply by applying power, but remain dormant forever in such cases.
Those images require a manual start command by pressing one of the micro switches on the board.
A proper BPi case should have holes in it allowing you to insert a toothpick or other thin stick for that purpose.
(It helps a lot if your case is transparent, like mine is.)

5: Insufficient patience...
Some images take a lot of time to initialize, and even more so with a large SD card (slow partition init).
So it may be necessary to wait a few minutes before seeing anything useful on screen.
(Only the latest homebrew images show anything at all during initial parts of the boot process.)

I'm not sure if you've missed any of the above info, but those are the issues that have troubled most people, so I hope they give you some clue for how to make it work.

Best regards: dlanor

shadoom  
Edited by shadoom at Sat Jan 3, 2015 00:42
Kuroi replied at Mon Sep 15, 2014 18:09
Reply 51# mugs500

I had the same problem just now. I needed to change the name of the folder. The  ...

^THIS

Should be added to the first post. I searched quite a while how to fix this blank text / no text issue.

My computer can display Korean, Chinese, Japanese etc. no issues but the encoding went all wrong when uploaded/downloaded to/from google drive.

Then I had this issue:
  1. [2015/1/3 7:36:59] Start formating the card to normal.
  2. [2015/1/3 7:37:2] Format Card To Normal Mode Success !
  3. [2015/1/3 7:37:6] Formatting the card...
  4. [2015/1/3 7:37:19] Start Burning...
  5. [2015/1/3 7:37:21] [pheonix card_00]Burn Sucess
  6. [2015/1/3 7:37:22] [pheonix card_10]Burn Sucess
  7. [2015/1/3 7:37:22] [MBR]Burn Sucess
  8. [2015/1/3 7:37:24] [bootloader]Burn Sucess
  9. [2015/1/3 7:37:24] Error
Copy the Code
I figured it has probably issues with C:\ on windows8
Moved it to D:\ and it worked fine:
  1. [2015/1/3 7:40:26] Start formating the card to normal.
  2. [2015/1/3 7:40:29] Format Card To Normal Mode Success !
  3. [2015/1/3 7:40:52] Formatting the card...
  4. [2015/1/3 7:41:4] Start Burning...
  5. [2015/1/3 7:41:4] [pheonix card_00]Burn Sucess
  6. [2015/1/3 7:41:6] [pheonix card_10]Burn Sucess
  7. [2015/1/3 7:41:6] [MBR]Burn Sucess
  8. [2015/1/3 7:41:8] [bootloader]Burn Sucess
  9. [2015/1/3 7:41:9] [env]Burn Sucess
  10. [2015/1/3 7:41:12] [boot]Burn Sucess
  11. [2015/1/3 7:41:46] [system]Burn Sucess
  12. [2015/1/3 7:41:49] [data]Burn Sucess
  13. [2015/1/3 7:41:49] [misc]Burn Sucess
  14. [2015/1/3 7:41:52] [DATA File]Burn Sucess
  15. [2015/1/3 7:41:52] [pheonix card_00]Check Complete
  16. [2015/1/3 7:41:52] [pheonix card_10]Check Complete
  17. [2015/1/3 7:41:52] [MBR]Check Complete
  18. [2015/1/3 7:41:52] [bootloader]Check Complete
  19. [2015/1/3 7:41:52] [env]Check Complete
  20. [2015/1/3 7:41:52] [boot]Check Complete
  21. [2015/1/3 7:41:53] [system]Check Complete
  22. [2015/1/3 7:41:53] [data]Check Complete
  23. [2015/1/3 7:41:53] [misc]Check Complete
  24. [2015/1/3 7:41:53] [DATA File]Check Complete
  25. [2015/1/3 7:41:53] Magic Complete
  26. [2015/1/3 7:41:53] Burn End...
Copy the Code

I wrote the image to my SD card using Phoenix Card and it works in my Banana Pi.
THe only problem is that I cannot install or download anything because it does not have an /sdcard partition
Many apps are complaining about no sd card inserted and I don't know how to fix that.

dlanor  
Edited by dlanor at Wed Jan 7, 2015 15:35
nexxus86 replied at Tue Jan 6, 2015 23:16
I wrote the image to my SD card using Phoenix Card and it works in my Banana Pi.
The only problem is that I cannot install or download anything because it does not have an /sdcard partition
Many apps are complaining about no sd card inserted and I don't know how to fix that.

This is a well known issue, and is due to a bug in a script file used by the system in mounting the SD card partitions for access.
I fixed that bug long ago, and that fix has been included in several of the alternate Android images released by forum members.
But you can fix it yourself for an existing image based on the original, simply by using 'ES File Explorer' to edit the file and then reboot, with /sdcard mounted for access of all 'extra' space on the SD card, that was not used for the system partitions. (So a larger SD card will increase the available /sdcard space, and for a 16GB card you'll get appx 12.6 GB /sdcard.)

If you go back to post #21 in this thread you will find an explanation of the problem, with links to other posts containing the detailed solution and alternate images.

ChrisP  
shadoom replied at Sat Jan 3, 2015 07:35
^THIS

Should be added to the first post. I searched quite a while how to fix this blank text / no ...

When I encountered this error on my Win 8 system (randomly, very annoying), I found in this forum a trick that completly fixed it for me:

Go to device manager, find your SD card reader device, go to properties, policies, and change "Fast removal" option to "Best Performance". Do not forget to properlly Eject your SD Card from the notification bar tool to avoid to miss delayed writes.

Is there a way to increase the internal storage partition, you could even come to me with dd etc. I just don't understand that parition table, which overlaps....

dlanor  
Fighter19 replied at Mon Feb 9, 2015 12:40
Is there a way to increase the internal storage partition, you could even come to me with dd etc. I  ...

The simplest way to modify the partition usage of Android is to edit one of the files used by the DragonFace program and store a new initial install image.
Changing the partition sizes of an already installed and used Android system is far more complex.

The following information is quoted from an older post by ChrisP, made on Oct 29 2014:
When DragonFace is opening an img, it put various thing in 3 main folders:

DragonFace\fsop
DragonFace\CPFOP
temporary folder, usally found by typing %temp% in the adress bar of windows explorer.

To modify the partition sets of an image, finally it's pretty simple.

1 - With DragonFace, open the image you want to resize.
2 - Edit the file sysconfig.lhs in temp folder with your favorite text editor (mine is notepad++)
3 - Modify the content of the file in that way:

Locate the following section:

[partition]
name =data
size =2097152

Actually, this one is where android will write most of his data, and the most important one to increase.. I tried to set the new value to:

size= 4194304 (Which mean 2 GB)

Locate the following section:

[partition]
name =system
size =1048576

This is the size of the system partition, which is read only, I resized it to 1GB for testing but it's only needed to increase that if you plan to add additionnal data in system, by copying additionnal files in DragonFace\fsop\system :

size= 2097152

4 - Save the modified file from text editor
5 - Save the tweaked img from DragonFace to a new img file
6 - Burn it with Phoenix card, and boot your BPi on it

Once Android booted, go to Settings, Storage, and tadam, internal storage is now 1.97 GB. This is the size of /data partition

Of course the remaing size of the FAT partition you can use to put files when monting on windows is reduced, so you should do some adjustement that fit with your SD size and your usage, if you want to put movies on your SD Card.

The partition named "data" in the above is the one that Android will use as 'internal' storage for installation of apps. The original size is in my opinion too small, and easily fills up, especially when installing system-intensive apps unsuitable for moving to the simulated SD card area. That "/sdcard" area is another partition on the same SD card, which will consist of all the space that was NOT allocated in the sysconfig.lhs file mentioned above. You should also be aware that the original release of the Android 4.2 system did not mount that partition correctly, so much of the space on those cards was effectively lost, but the newer Android 4.2 images released by forum members do mount it correctly. There is also a simple patch you can make to fix the "/sdcard" mounting so as to 'repair' existing setups based on the original release. (Ask again if you need it. Or just search the forum.)

Just bought a class 10 8GB SD-card. But when I use PhoenixCard, the program finds the SD-card, and as well the image. If I set it than to 'Startup !' and then 'Format to Normal' He says:
  1. Start formating the card to normal.
  2. Format Card To Normal Mode Failed !Start formating the card to normal.
Copy the Code
Has anybody an idea how I can solve this problem?

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules