Discussion

Mainline kernel

24 9623
igorpec  
I successfully build kernel 3.17 (https://github.com/linux-sunxi) for BananaPI but network is not working / driver is acting similar as on 3.4 without patching.
Anyone already fixed this?
Post Last Edited by dupont-y at 2014-10-13 13:10

Post Last Edited by dupont-y at 2014-10-13 13:10

Reply 1# igorpec

Hi Igor, I'm very curious, did you patched something ? Or changed something in uboot (start adress ?) I can build and boot 3.4 without problems, but 3.17 is no go for me. Compiles OK, but no boot. (No green blinking) As I don't have a serial cable attached, no way to tell what's happening

Regarding GMAC, did you tried with a recent uboot ? With a recent one, patched for banana, gmac is correctly initialized and basically you don't have to patch gmac kernel sources. All is working ok.

Reply 2# dupont-y

Just a quick follow-up, tried really mainstream kernel. As you made reference to https://github.com/linux-sunxi, I suppose you tried from sunxi-next ?

Will try that

igorpec  
Reply  dupont-y

Just a quick follow-up, tried really mainstream kernel. As you made reference ...
dupont-y Posted at 2014-10-13 11:24

Yes, sunxi-next. I am using this uboot source:https://github.com/jwrdegoede/u-boot-sunxi

No patching at all, default kernel config ... I only enable modules support.

igorpec  
Post Last Edited by igorpec at 2014-10-13 12:22
I Igor, I'm very curious, did you patched something ? Or changed somethin in u ...
dupont-y Posted at 2014-10-13 11:15

Kernel compilation:

1. make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- LOADADDR=0x40008000 uImage modules dtbs
Copy the Code

+ modules and headers

Uboot script: boot.cmd / converted to boot.scr

1. setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 sunxi_g2d_mem_reserve=0 sunxi_ve_mem_reserve=0  sunxi_no_mali_mem_reserve r
  2. oot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootwait panic=10 ${extra}
  3. ext4load mmc 0 0x46000000 /boot/uImage
  4. ext4load mmc 0 0x49000000 /boot/sun7i-a20-bananapi.dtb
  5. env set fdt_high ffffffff
  6. bootm 0x46000000 - 0x49000000
Copy the Code
Regarding GMAC, did you tried with a recent uboot ? With a recent one, patched for banana, gmac is correctly initialized and basically you don't have to patch gmac kernel sources. All is working ok.

I have to try this. Tnx. I already create all patches for kernel I would be happy to have only one uboot source for all of my boards

Post Last Edited by dupont-y at 2014-10-13 15:19

The reason it was not working previously is because of a bad configuration of boot.cmd, dtb was not loaded :/

Once corrected, kernel 3.17 boots (but not blinking green led), SATA initialize (I see my PMP sata card blinks), Ethernet initialize (Blue led), but nothing after that.

Smell like kernel oops in the early stage of booting.
Once again, without serial, hard to say what's wrong. I definitively need to take time to build one !

igorpec  
Looks the same as here. Ethernet is UP - it just doesn't work. I have to test with Cubietruck today, i suspect that it's GMAC should work.

This kernel also have a simple console (experimental) on HDMI but I didn't get nothing on the screen.

Serial console is must have for this kind of playing ;)

kdayn  
as far as I understand, sunxi-next won't provide gmac support and this is what is holding back me from buying BP! I can't use 3.4 kernel, I neeed features from the latest.
when we will see gmac support in sunxi-next?? and when in Torvalds tree?
maybe somebody has a patch against 3.17 for gmac?
I have researched, that everything else should work with mainline u-boot and linux (not sunxi), am I rigth?

igorpec  
Edited by igorpec at 2014-10-15 12:16
kdayn replied at 2014-10-15 02:42
as far as I understand, sunxi-next won't provide gmac support and this is what is holding back me fr ...

Hja, for example: Cubietruck's GMAC is working fine with 3.17. I need to do more tests to see if there are problems but the board boots normally. There is no console - it should be but it's not working for me - it should be usable as a headless server.

I hope it will be patched for Bpi soon.

kdayn  
igorpec, I am too running cubie1 on torvalds 3.17 just fine, I am just wondering when this will be possible for BP?
can we have some official comment on this topic?
maybe you have some roadmap on mainlining to share?

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules