Discussion

Hardware-Control - where to start at?

9 2965
Hello guys,

i just ordered a b-pi and cant wait to get it.
During wintertime, i would like to learn a bit of controlling hardware and stuff (the simple ones ),
but i really dont know where to start at - i guess the thing i need is Arduino, right? (Thats the Board which can be connected to a breadboard?).

Theres so much stuff around the r/b-pi and i dont get the point where to begin.
What do i need to, f.E., build an simple relay circuit? (except of standard-parts like wire, relay, etc.)

Thank you!

Best Regards,
Chris
Hi Chris,

No needs for Arduino : The Banana is exposing some GPIO in it's CON3 (26p) and J12 (6p) connectors, so you can start with them. You also have CAN, I2C, SPI on CON3 as well to add additional IO if needed and connect interesting devices.
I guess the 1 wire is working as will, but I didn't tried it yet : I'll probably use an I2C <-> 1w transceiver to make my life easier

Bye

Laurent

Hi Laurent,

thank you for your reply.
Okay, good to know. So, what is the Arduino needed for? After some 'getting-used-to-steps" with a normal relay i would like to build a 3x3x3 led cube - thats the part where i need this one i guess? (is it because of the additional GPIOs?)
I've got some very limited basic-knowledge in electronics because i dont need it at work that often (sysadmin, only programming of an TK opening relay at times^^)

BR,
Chris

You can buy a led board, and try to control the led by the gpio. The GPIO libraries WiringPi and RPi.GPIO are both ported into Banana Pi, you can git pull them from LeMaker github.

Edited by destroyedlolo at 2014-10-15 04:36
So, what is the Arduino needed for?

Frankly speaking : I duno I saw lot of project based on the Raspberry using an Arduino sister board ... whereas every thing needed is already provided by the 26p connector (as example, a "téléinfo" board where the aim is only to read 2 serial flows). I guess those people have some Arduino habit

I'm think to use Arduino for autonomous probe but probably not to expend BananaPI IO ... at least for simple projects like that

After some 'getting-used-to-steps" with a normal relay i would like to build a 3x3x3 led cube - thats the part where i need this one i guess?

I saw some video where Arduino is used but I think they are using to much IOs for that : like 1 GPIOs for each LED in each 3x3 matrix + 1 per layer.
It can be easily reduced to ... 6 GPIOs per 3x3 matrix + 1 per layer. After all, only a question of diodes matrix. Probably less with more thinking.

The banana has more than 9 GPIOs.

I've got some very limited basic-knowledge in electronics because i dont need it at work that often (sysadmin, only programming of an TK opening relay at times^^)

Me too (I'm  an Application manager and Unix SysAdmin), but I started to do some home automation, wakening up my old basic electronic knowledges

Thank you, tony_zhang, destroyedlolo,
i've got the basic input i wanted - lets see if i can start with that!

By the way, is there a way to expand the GPIOs to, lets say, 1000? (just a random number, but what if i wanted to build a 9x9x9 cube - how's that possible though? just thinking^^)

Best regards

erythana replied at 2014-10-15 08:19
Thank you, tony_zhang, destroyedlolo,
i've got the basic input i wanted - lets see if i can start wi ...

Yes, you can connect a i2c or spi expand board on the Banana Pi, there are many i2c or spi chips can expand io, such as pcf8574 and mcp23s17.

It's easier to connect stuff to a micro controller, you protect the GPIOs, you have more I/Os, you have more PWM, analog and Digital...

With an Arduino you directly control the hardware (connected stuff).
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vhvnaWUZjE
Arduino vs Pi: http://codeduino.com/tutorials/arduino-vs-raspberry-pi/
There are some books. For example: "Beginning Sensor Networks with Arduino and Raspberry Pi (Charles Bell)"

I have a project where i need allot of I/O and first i wanted to use a Arduino Nano and was on my way to use some
I2C expander (PCF 8574 AP). But then i realized to use a SainSmart Mega 2560 costs me just 4€ more, i have all
the connections i need and it makes cabling and programming allot easier.

My Arduino and Banana talk serial. Heres a simple tut i made:
http://forum.lemaker.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=7167

Most stuff you connect to a Computer and you can control with it has some kind
of micro controller.

tjCFeng  
You need this thing.

jidianqi.png

This THING?

Thats really helpful for somebody who just starts with electric.
I see that it is a opto isolator and a relay but somebody new does not know what a PC817 is.

And it's a signal relay - you can't use every relay for everything because of the contact materials:
http://www.therelaycompany.com/materials.php

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules