How I made Android my multimedia system

40 20841
kotrs  
Reply 9# bumfank
Hi bumfank, Could you share your image file please ?Thank you

dlanor  
Another interesting multimedia usage is to install the 3rd-party Plex client Serenity, which also uses MXPlayer as its external media player, while providing good Plex client features.

This way I can browse and play any media from my extensive Plex Media Server library, even though the official Plex client does not (as yet) work properly on the Banana Pi. (The official Plex for Android client can only browse, but fails to play media on the Banana Pi.)

Btw: Today I made a similar mountpoint hack as bumfank mentions, except that my hack uses the 'lost' partition of the real SD card (a part that otherwise appears in /mnt/extsd).
With my 16GB SD card this gives me an area of 12.62 GB for /mnt/sdcard (also linked as /sdcard), without having to add any HDD or USB stick.

You can read about the details of my hack in another thread of this subforum.

Best regards: dlanor

Wieczor  
bumfank replied at Wed Jun 25, 2014 00:36
There is a bug on Android.
BananaPi devs ported Android from tablet. So they forgot about change mo ...

It didnt work I cant find my USB hdd files ;(

ChrisP  
Wieczor replied at Fri Nov 21, 2014 22:20
It didnt work I cant find my USB hdd files ;(

Check in android setting if automount is activated for external USB device, it's not on by default on every android image variations.

Nice Thread, very helpful. Have the same setup, using MX Player (in combination with Kodi 14 stable) with the same codec you are using. Works perfect, watched some tv-shows and movies, no problem at all. Tested other players, include the one from Kodi. But no one could compete with MX Player. I just ordered an external power device for my 3.5" 4TB HDD, so there should be no power-problems and with SATA no speed-problems . Currently I'm using my 2.5" 1TB external HDD with USB, very slow, but fast enough to watch movies.

dlanor  
@truemiro:
Please report your results with the 4TB SATA HDD once you start using it with the BPi.
Traditional computer OS have had problems with drives larger than 2TB, requiring new low-level drivers to handle such drive sizes.
I'm not sure how well suited our Android device drivers are to cope with such issues, so your results are of interest to all users.

@truemiro: Currently I'm using my 2.5" 1TB external HDD with USB, very slow, but fast enough to watch movies.

How do you connect your USB HDD to work with Android? Also I am wondering if anyone was lucky enough to get the SATA port working with Android?

dlanor  
Edited by dlanor at Mon Jan 5, 2015 09:46
psczarny replied at Mon Jan 5, 2015 05:41
How do you connect your USB HDD to work with Android?

A USB HDD is connected to the BPi exactly like any other USB device, by plugging it into one of the BPi USB ports, either directly or through a USB hub.
It will work most reliably if the HDD or the hub it connects through has an independent power supply. Else it will load the PSU of the BPi.

Also I am wondering if anyone was lucky enough to get the SATA port working with Android?
It works fine for me, though I've only tried it with fairly small 2.5" drives (80GB and 100GB... These being leftovers from older equipment.)

Note that when using a SATA drive you need to power the BPi through the micro-USB connector situated between the SATA power connector and the SATA data connector.
If I power the BPi only through the other micro-USB connector, then everything else works fine, but not the SATA HDD.

Edited by psczarny at Mon Jan 5, 2015 13:22

@dlanor

Thanks for the insights.

I'm having noobie issues with the BPi. The 4.4 image gives me more freedom with apps and allows my K400 keyboard to work while the 4.2 build allows my wifi dongle to work. I had no success in getting my 500gb hdd to work through sata on any android build while it works as a charm with BanaNAS (OMV). The HDD spins up in all systems but is simply not visible in Android. Am I formatting/mounting it as it should be done? I have no micro usb -> micro usb to test the drive on the OTG port on BPi but the 4.4 did not see my HDD when plugged in to the regular USB ports.Also the 4.4 gives better performance to streaming services such as Netflix while lacking on playback of local media files; the 4.2 vice versa. If someone could merge the two builds in terms of compatibility it would be sweet .

I'm looking for a setup like this:
- Stable android with full app support and seamless streaming (4.4)
- Working SATA with support up to 2TB (2.5") (SATA beats USB 2.0)
- NAS capabilities with Android (BanaNAS or alike running its services in the Android) for backup with TimeMachine and
- Dropbox-like file transfer from any device -> BPi (also working from outside the house)
- AirPlay compatibility
- Physical remote control (haven't heard of anyone getting the IR to work on BPi yet?)
- Custom shell skinning (native or 3rd party).

Critique is welcomed.

Wieczor  

Edited by Wieczor at Mon Jan 5, 2015 16:14
psczarny replied at Mon Jan 5, 2015 13:17
@dlanor

Thanks for the insights.

From what I am ware of there is only one android 4.4 imageband it is not official lamaker source.
I have my hdd connected via sata (640gb) on matrix android 4.2 and it works fine

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules