Discussion

How to get a working kernel

108 23238
Edited by silentcreek at Thu Nov 6, 2014 02:32

Very interesting. Thanks.

I still prefer to wait for Kernel 3.19 (mainline) and stick with my 3.4.104 so long, but it's good to have this guide as a starting point when the time is right. Now the interesting question (for me) is whether GMAC is supported (at more than 100Mbps) and how well it works in general.

a1d3s  
I think the gmac patch is in DTS files for sun7i , this kernel works with DTB support , no Mord need of the script.bin

a1d3s  
All other documentation will only go to bananapi.com

f4exb  
Tried that with latest sunxi-next kernel (3.18.0-rc2). It seems to boot but I have neither LAN nor HDMI console which makes it useless.
Kernel 3.4 is also too old to make this board very useful.

Hello, see : http://forum.lemaker.org/thread-7207-2-1-2.html
can't get ethernet working. Could it be a 100 Mbit/s vs Gigabit/s switch issue (phy negotiation ?)

f4exb  
Edited by f4exb at Sun Nov 9, 2014 15:32
dupont-y replied at Sun Nov 9, 2014 14:05
Hello, see : http://forum.lemaker.org/thread-7207-2-1-2.html
can't get ethernet working. Could it be ...

Hello,

in fact I run it on a 100 Mbit switch..Same symptom as yours, the blue light is there and it even blinks on a ping but no reply. In the console it reports the link down and up when I unplug and plug again:

[  945.658981] stmmaceth 1c50000.ethernet eth0: Link is Down
[  948.659226] stmmaceth 1c50000.ethernet eth0: Link is Up - 100Mbps/Full - flow control rx/tx

In fact sunxi-next is now at 3.18.0-rc3 and I use it without patches. The most significant improvement from not booting at all was using the u-boot from denx as per instructions in this thread.

f4exb  
Edited by f4exb at Mon Nov 10, 2014 04:42

Hello.

after thinking a bit about it I suppose there is a problem with the dtb (Device Treee Blob) file that is not fully compatible with the BananaPi. On kernels 3.4 there is no DT (Device Tree) support at least for the BPi and it relies on the script.fex compiled into a script.bin file to describe the hardware. In a similar manner the .dtb file is compiled fron a .dts (source) file using a compiler called dtc. Unfortunately there is no such thing like a fex to dts translator nor an easy way to compare.

The .dts file used is in the kernel tree at: ./arch/arm/boot/dts/sun7i-a20-bananapi.dts

If anyone could twiddle with this file maybe this could allow to run modern kernels properly on the BPi.

Don't forget drivers are really different. With 3.4, there is a proper gmac ethernet driver, specially designed for banana pi. On 3.18rc, you have a more generic STM driver with GMAC support for banana pi. Source are really differents...

f4exb  
dupont-y replied at Mon Nov 10, 2014 05:00
Don't forget drivers are really different. With 3.4, there is a proper gmac ethernet driver, special ...

Well, well, well... then I think it is not worth to deal with the Banana-Pi anymore. I pretty much agree with the statements here: http://linux-sunxi.org/LeMaker_Banana_Pi

Cheers.

a1d3s  
i got kernel 3.18-rc3 working with gmac support
guys use mainline kernel and only sun7i-a20-bananapi.dts and sun7i-a20-dts from sunix-kernel
in arm boot makefiles has some lines to add

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules