Discussion

How to get a working kernel

108 23372
tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Wed Nov 12, 2014 02:44
dupont-y replied at Wed Nov 12, 2014 02:01
from my pc (5 years old core2 duo with Atheros gigabit) to bananapi

Thx for the information. So transfer speeds from 'client' to BananaPi improved by at least 100 MBits/sec between 3.4.x and 3.18.x in your tests?

Since I managed to get approx. 900 MBits/sec in the same direction with 3.4.90 it might be possible that this throughput increase isn't caused by kernel/driver 'improvements' but by the many different other factors that are performance relevant on the sunxi platform. In order of relevance:

1) CPU freq stuff (governor and especially scaling_max_freq)
    2) kernel config / scheduler settings regarding SMP/CPU affinity
    3) general network settings (maybe the defaults changed in the meantime to better match with current LAN/WAN situations)

Might be interesting if you could have a look at cpufreq stuff and TCP window/buffer sizes while running iperf and also have a look with eg. htop whether the 2nd CPU core jumps in while doing tests (with CONFIG_SCHED_MC=y and CONFIG_SCHED_SMT=y I've always seen this in 'client to Banana' situations and then it's easily possible to exceed the single CPU 650 MBits/sec barrier)

tkaiser replied at Wed Nov 12, 2014 02:29
Thx for the information. So transfer speeds from 'client' to BananaPi improved by at least 100 MBi ...

Yes, + 100 Mbits. Take it with a grain of salt, this is absolutely not tuned, and not optimal because I use bridges on bananapi. And don't forget currently I only have 1 CPU available.
And I'm not even sure my old pc atheros card is able to reach 1Gbit/s.

a1d3s  
Download the new image please your uname -a sayed kernel are dirty thats why nothing help

a1d3s  
Have u replaced the uimage on mmcblk0p1 after recompile? I cant combine mainline kernel with sunxi kernel

a1d3s  
Later the day i will provide some kernel images for testing. They can then be found on my newly pirprojects.net
My real intention was to build an robotcar on raspberry. After i killed them i was not able to find a working image for bpi. Im not a real dev only a user with some knowledge ;)

Edited by dupont-y at Wed Nov 12, 2014 04:45
a1d3s replied at Wed Nov 12, 2014 04:01
Download the new image please your uname -a sayed kernel are dirty thats why nothing help

hum no. It's saying it's dirty because I used latest GIT and I manually patched a file (sata file to use multiport sata card). This version is perfectly ok. I'll try your new image this evening.

tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Wed Nov 12, 2014 05:23
dupont-y replied at Wed Nov 12, 2014 03:20
Yes, + 100 Mbits. Take it with a grain of salt, this is absolutely not tuned, and not optimal beca ...

Ok, understood. Based on incomplete information regarding the 'environment' of the tests it's a bit too early to expect speed improvements due to a newer kernel (or at least it's not clear what's responsible for the increased throughput). But it still looks promising.

For me it was really funny to realize which parameters on this sort of lowend hardware are reponsible for performance gains compared to the server hardware we normally deal with (x86/Sparc and 10 GbE)

BTW: It would be really great if you could post a short summary regarding your SATA port multiplier setup in a new thread -- here or maybe in the  "advanced users"/"server/networking" subforums. At least containing the necessary kernel config, the chipset your port multiplier uses and maybe a product link as well.

f4exb  
Edited by f4exb at Wed Nov 12, 2014 05:27
dupont-y replied at Wed Nov 12, 2014 04:44
hum no. It's saying it's dirty because I used latest GIT and I manually patched a file (sata file  ...

btw how do you patch the sata file? I have a multiport sata card that I was not able to run and would be useful for RAID 1 support (NAS application). Maybe we can start this on another thread.

For the kernel I would be interested to check the .config a1d3s uses to compare with mine. Is it in the /usr/src directory of the image?

tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Wed Nov 12, 2014 05:32
f4exb replied at Wed Nov 12, 2014 05:25
For the kernel I would be interested to check the .config a1d3s uses to compare with mine. Is it in the /usr/src directory of the image?
  1. zcat /proc/config.gz
Copy the Code
should always do the job

f4exb replied at Wed Nov 12, 2014 05:25
btw how do you patch the sata file? I have a multiport sata card that I was not able to run and wo ...

for multiport sata card, see this thread :

http://forum.lemaker.org/forum.p ... ght=sata&page=4

Mine come from the leading china marketplace (just go there and search port multiplier). It's Jmicron based and performance is not stellar at all (see mentioned thread).

For the patch, you just have to edit drivers/ata/ahci_sunxi.c   (see thread)

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules