BPi Android 4.2 Build Guide

72 19554
dlanor  
I noticed that you guys had memory issues with some of the build work.
For my own VM I allowed it 2GB of RAM, and had no such problems.
So it shouldn't be necessary to go higher than that.

Best regards: dlanor

mattrix  
I guess my main thing I like about VirtualBox is it's open-source, free and a simple website.
Just visiting VMware site, I am presented with 100's of products, "free trials" and everything in between.

I think of Vagrant like a "wrapper" for VirtualBox (and can also use Vmware I think).

It's a way you can describe a machine in a single file (and also a script to run on that machine)

The Vagrant file tells the VM what machine to setup, how many cores, what ports to forward, what IP address to assign, what hostname etc.
Then, you can have it even run a script on first boot..
Eg: we could have a script that installs all the dependencies.

Then, you would have 1x file that can be run with 1x command that gets anyone on any OS building Android images.

It's a way you can guarantee that everyone is working in the exact same environment which is very important (especially if working in teams).

No more "if your on 12.04 or 14.04" etc.

mattrix  
I never use GUI's in VM's so never have problems with guest additions.

Using GUIs when compiling or even developing anything these days is quite rare??

You would just be using the GUI to click on terminal I assume?
Would be a better idea to run a VM without a GUI (faster), and just SSH into it 127.0.0.1:22

dlanor  
@mattrix:

re: Vagrant
I suppose it may be useful, though I suspect it's in fact specialized for some specific common OS variants.
There's no way in 'H' they can design a fully OS-independent way of launching guest scripts, since some guest OS just won't allow it.
But I assume it works well with the major Ubuntu versions we're dealing with.

However, eliminating user choice of OS version is not something I can agree with.
Especially not in a case like this where the major OS user interface is slaughtered in the version you'd prioritize.

----- switching reply target to your latest post -----
I never use GUI's in VM's so never have problems with guest additions.
Obviously, but they are a major factor in allowing efficient use of the guest system.
Having a common clipboard and the ability to drag-drop stuff between systems helps a lot.
But the VirtualBox variant also messes up how Unity works.
(causing all newly opened windows to overlap by default etc.)

Using GUIs when compiling or even developing anything these days is quite rare??
You have to be kidding !?! This is 2014, not 197x.
If what you suggest was a fact, then products like 'Visual Studio' would not exist. (Just one example out of thousands.)

I don't mean to be rude, but it's not without reason that OS GUIs were developed.
Complex design is difficult enough without limiting oneself to just working in a console window.

You would just be using the GUI to click on terminal I assume?
Not at all.

I do most project related work inside the GUI of the guest OS, using its various native tools, of which the terminal is just one.
This is in fact necessary, to ensure that all used files are affected as required for proper use in the guest OS. (file attributes etc).
It's only for the DragonFace modifications and PhoenixCard flashing of the images that I work on them under Windows.
And I move the compiled images to the Windows host by virtual network transfer using Nautilus windows under the Ubuntu guest.
(I don't really trust 'Guest Additions' or 'VMware tools' with drag-drop transfer of so large files. Fileshare transfers are safer.)

Switching to a console-only VM would be extremely inconvenient for me.
But I suppose it may be different for those using a Linux host similar to the guest OS.

Best regards: dlanor

ChrisP  
I do not think there are good or bad choice doing, it depends of usage.

But on my side GUI is on Windows (WinSCP to manipulate files, Notepad ++ to edit them), I just use a Putty to connect to the VMs and launch the git manipulation and launch the builds.

ChrisP  
A good side-effect of the result of image build from scratch is that the partition table seems cleaner, now ExtFS from Paragon is able to properlly mount the 4 ext partitions of the sdcard

ChrisP  
ChrisP replied at Tue Nov 25, 2014 22:19
Well, with FTTLa it's not really problematic to restart from scratch, it's allready done (twice, I m ...

Mmmh, the sugar_bpi-user was maybe not a such good idea, some menu have disappeared from android setting that are very usesull (for example the screen resolution setting )
Will try with the intermediate sugar_bpi-userdebug

mattrix  
Edited by mattrix at Wed Nov 26, 2014 13:56
ChrisP replied at Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:28
I do not think there are good or bad choice doing, it depends of usage.

But on my side GUI is on Wi ...

I'm excactly same.
WinSCP for easy file-manager, Putty for SSH and Sublime for editing.

I used to use Notepad++ but Sublime is just so pretty.

mattrix  
dlanor replied at Wed Nov 26, 2014 05:41
@mattrix:

re: Vagrant

I was referring to developing in Linux.

On Windows, you are basically forced into using clunky programs.

That's why I have fell in love with Linux.
You get exactly what you want.

It's EXPLICIT.

You need a driver, you compile it.
Your not given anything you don't need and don't want.
You can give someone a list of commands, and it will work.
Not "click windows button, search for an icon, double click this icon"

I just thinking using a VM to emulate a GUI is a bit overkill.
If I ever did need a GUI, I would just boot if off a USB stick or dual boot.

And your argument that we should use big clunky Os's for simply command line tasks because it's 2014 is completely wrong.
It's more relevant now than ever - have you tried to do any development work on Windows 8? - took me 30mins to find something resembling a desktop!
I don't see how you can start bashing command line, when all your instructions in your first post are command line.

Can you please write a new tutorial for building Android in a GUI then?

It's not about forcing people into an OS.
It's about giving the user / developer a STABLE development environment for a certain task (building Android)
Your instructions in this first post is forcing someone to use Ubuntu 12.04 or Ubuntu 14.04.
If it was using Vagrant, it would run in Windows, Linux and even MAC OS.

I was like you when I started Linux - I was trying to make it like Windows.
Once I embraced SSH and terminal, WOW!
I think as you progress with Linux, you will start seeing what I mean.

On Linux, 99% of everything can be done with terminal and notepad.

But, at the end of the day - whatever works for you and what your comfortable with is good

mattrix  
I've just re-read my comments and they come across quite.. angry.

Apologies if I've caused offense or came across nasty.
We are all here for the same cause and too better the Banana Pi

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules