How to modify Android image

11 18326
mattrix  
Post Last Edited by mattrix at 2014-7-14 01:43

Post Last Edited by mattrix at 2014-7-14 01:42

Post Last Edited by mattrix at 2014-7-14 01:40

I found a program which can decompile the Banana Pi Android image.

You can then edit settings / filesystem etc and the program then recompiles it back into an image.

This image can then be burned to an SD card following the normal instructions HERE

The program is called DragonFace.
It can be downloaded HERE
(you will need 7-Zip to extract)

I have tested this in Windows 7, but not sure what other Windows it works in.

Through the main program, you can edit a few settings (boot animation / build.prop etc)
However, all this is doing is editing the extracted filesystem in the background - which can be found in DragonFace Dir/fsop folder
Also, boot partions and recovery partions can be found in DragonFace Dir/CPFOP

Here is the steps to edit an android image

1) Start DragonFace
2) Click firmware button
3) Locate Android_For_BananaPi_v2_0.img and click Open
4) DragonFace will now extract the image
5) Once loaded, you can use the program to edit a few files / boot animation etc.
6) You can also, open up the fsop & CPFOP folders and modify the filesystem directly with the program still open
7) Once changes have been made, Click SAVE in Dragonface to create an image
8) Burn this image using Phoenix Card

Common changes

Edit build.prop so the timezone / country is correct to your region
Remove non required APKS
Change bootup logo

I hope this helps development

Thanks,

Matt
mattrix  
Each time you load up an image, the 2x folders (fsop & CPFOP) are deleted and repopulated with the new extracted filesytem.

All I do when testing is keep open the DragonFace program, and slowly make changes to a last known "good image". I save the image and have phoenix up and running ready to burn.

Test the new build, and if it's good, I replace my "good image" with the new image and carry on the process.

If the image is bad, I simply load up the last "good image" in DragonFace and try again

The whole process of saving an image and burning is actually pretty quick

Please post here any interesting things you find /tweak in the Banana Pi image

hi, want to add the newest dragonface, maybe its useful
http://infoofandroids.blogspot.c ... t-version-v212.html

hope my banana pi can deliver fast, so i can play with this android rom like modifying apk, change default background etc, let me know if you want some help sir

hi, want to add the newest dragonface, maybe its useful
http://infoofandroids.blogspot.c ... t-version-v212.html

hope my banana pi can deliver fast, so i can play with this android rom like modifying apk, change default background etc, let me know if you want some help sir

whyhy  
When I try to modify .img with DragonFace and then save it and burn it with PhoenixCard, PhoenixCard crashes while burning [data] or [DataFILE]. Anyone had the same issue?

dlanor  
Post Last Edited by dlanor at 2014-10-2 02:16
When I try to modify .img with DragonFace and then save it and burn it with PhoenixCard, PhoenixCard ...
whyhy Posted at 2014-10-2 00:52

Possibly you have made the mistake of updating the applications (like they often nag about when  we use them).

That should be avoided, as many report that the newer versions are not compatible with our Android images.

Thus it is best to download and continue using precisely those versions of the applications linked to on this site, in the original posts describing their use for these particular Android images for the BPi. So when an app nags about wanting an update, you should refuse it !!!

It's also a good idea to back up the working versions of the applications, for future re-install in case you accidentally go through with updates in the future (or if someone else with access to the same computer does it).

Best regards: dlanor

Excellent advice!! (I'm always a slave to updating but here's a good example of when it is disadvantageous as I too have been experiencing PhoenixCard crashing with an amended image file.)

So my originally downloaded DF Zip file says version 2.1.2 (Is that the correct one for our Android images, both 4.2 and 4.4? Or do I need to go one or two versions even further back?)

The nagging update box wants to go to v2.2.0 but you say this can cause these  inconsistencies as reported above in Post #5 above?

whyhy  
Thanks for the help, I got v2.1.2 from this forum and it works great no update needed, all other versions 206 and 220 don't work.

ChrisP  
I will give it another try, since I updated to 2.20 as well, and didn't understood why I had so many issues to burn the img I modified !

ChrisP  
Well, this version didn't fix my phoenixcard crash issue

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules