Other Projects

A case for BPI, HDD and Power Supply made of wood

6 3574
vanks  
Edited by vanks at Fri Apr 24, 2015 09:44

Presenting my case for Banana PI, HDD 2.5", and power supply.

01-apresentacao.jpg

Dimensions: 130 x 72 x 175 mm.

Used material:
- wooden boards 3 mm.;
- screws for motherboard taked out from an old computer case;
- cable, power plug and terminals connectors;
- little aluminum boards;
- a power button;
- heat sink from an old VGA board, cut in size of CPU and memories of the BPI;
- connectors sata, sata power, and housing 2-pin (also taked out from the old VGA board);
- power suply 5V 2.5A, from an old router;
- HDD 2,5”;
- Banana PI.

02-materiais.jpg

The step by step summary

03-montagem.jpg

04-montagem.jpg

05-fonte-hdd.jpg
Power supply and HDD

06-botao-power.jpg
Installation of the power button

07-placa-central.jpg

08-barramento.jpg

09-montagem.jpg
A board for power bus and base for BPI placed over the power supply and HDD

10-dissipadores.jpg
Placing the heat sinks. On the side, were made openings for the audio and video connectors

11-bpi.jpg
Placing the BPI

12-cabos.jpg
Placing the cables: sata, sata power, and BPI power. Note I used the Sata Power Output port of the BPI to power the BPI, and the HDD power was connected to the power bus. I found better than use a micro USB cable in this case.

13-frente.jpg
Placing the front, with openings to Ethernet, USB ports and IR sensor.

14-traseira.jpg
Placing the back cover, only fitted without screws or glue. In the middle of the central plate a hole was made to screw the top cover.

15-final.jpg
The final product. With the holes for air flow in front and back. The top cover was fitted in front side and screwed in back side.
Note the HDMI port was not accessible by out of the case. This is OK for me because I use just the AV port.
tkaiser  
Nice work but I doubt the heatsinks can be effective. Can you provide us with the temperature of the PMU unit and the SoC.

If you use Bananian then you can simply enter the commands soctemp and pmutemp. If you're not on Bananian the PMU's temperature can be read out with this command
  1. awk '{printf ("%0.1f",$1/1000); }' </sys/devices/platform/sunxi-i2c.0/i2c-0/0-0034/temp1_input
Copy the Code
And for the SoC's temperature you could use the function Bananian uses: http://pastebin.com/jNLfSS4U or FPeter's nice little program.

Same comment as tkaiser about heatsinks (but my own bananas stay at decent temperatures as long as I'm not using intensively the GPU).
But the wood work is quite good

Very good!

vanks  
tkaiser replied at Sun Apr 26, 2015 08:41
Nice work but I doubt the heatsinks can be effective. Can you provide us with the temperature of the ...

Hi tkaiser and destroyedlolo

I use LeMedia and I have a script logging the temperature of the PMU.
The use is playing videos in low resolution, running rtorrent, and as scanner server.
I didn't read the temperature of the SoC, but I used the function you mentioned, so yesterday I started logging it.
When I'd mounted the case, I wouldn't have thermal paste, but after I acquire I put it into heatsinks.

So, today I got the log, and the results in the different situations are the follow:

BPI without case, without heatsinks:
- PMU temp - period: 4 months; min: 34.6; max: 74.6; avg: 55.9 ºC.

BPI in the case, with heatsinks, without thermal paste:
- PMU temp - period: 27 days; min: 39.4; max: 77.8; avg: 63.9 ºC.

BPI in the case, with heatsinks, with thermal paste:
- PMU temp - period: 4 days; min: 36.2; max: 68.2; avg: 61 ºC.
- SoC temp - period: 12 hours; min: 57.5; max: 60.4; avg: 58.6 ºC.

Tha last reading of temperatures are: PMU 66.6; SoC 58.6 ºC.

I know, it's very few time for compare, even the ambient temperature in the last days isn't high.
But the first impression is good. The average is high yet, but not peaks like before.

Hum,

The thermal is very welcome because temperature > 75° is dangerous.
Even 60+ looks to me a bit high : my own server (without GPU utilization) never goes above 40°, even during heavy computation.

tkaiser  
Edited by tkaiser at Tue Apr 28, 2015 14:58
vanks replied at Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:06
PMU 66.6; SoC 58.6 ºC

In my opinion way too hot. I would think about letting convection jump in to get 15-20 °C less. I did some tests using the 'stress' tool a while ago and temperatures didn't exceed 45° even when clocked with 1.2 GHz: http://forum.lemaker.org/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=8137&pid=42347

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules