Video

www.officialflyersproshop.com

0 27
Lorenzo Cain and Travis Shaw helped Milwaukee’s offense break through against the Chicago Cubs Marcus Mariota Jersey Big , and Chase Anderson did the rest.Anderson pitched seven innings of one-hit ball to capitalize on a heads-up rundown escape by Cain and a pair of two-run doubles by Shaw, and the Brewers two-hit the Cubs 4-0 on Tuesday night to take back first place in the NL Central.
Shaw had already put Chicago up 2-0 when Cain used his head and legs to escape a sticky spot in the third inning. With Christian Yelich at second, Cain hit a ball up the middle that was fielded by second baseman Javier Baez. Yelich got hung up between second and third but stayed alive through three throws before sprinting back to second base.
Cain, meanwhile, rounded first hard and fooled the Cubs into thinking he was committing to second. If both Yelich and Cain had touched second base, Cain could have been tagged out, and so pitcher Tyler Chatwood chased Yelich back to second, thinking Cain was about to end up there.
But Cain stopped a few feet short of second and ran back to first, where no Chicago players were around to field a throw from Chatwood. Yelich returned safely to second, and both players scored moments later on Shaw’s double to right.
Cain said he practiced the play when he was with the Kansas City Royals.
”I actually want to credit that play to Rusty Kuntz,” Cain said of the former first-base coach for the Royals. ”It never actually happened, but for it to happen tonight was huge. It was a nice play.”
Cain said Yelich had to keep hustling or the play would not have worked. Cain said he peeked back and saw that Anthony Rizzo was not covering first base.
”That baserunning play by Cain was flat-out brilliant Authentic Derrick Henry Jersey ,” Brewers manager Craig Counsell said. ”I’ve never seen anything like that. I had no idea what he was planning on doing but it was amazing. That’s seeing the field and understanding what’s happening.”
The Brewers took a 2-0 lead in the first inning on Shaw’s shot that evaded diving first baseman Rizzo and rolled into the right-field corner. Milwaukee ended a seven-game skid to Chicago.
Anderson (5-5) threw a Brewers’ season-high 107 pitches. Chicago’s only hit against him was an infield chopper by Willson Contreras in the second. Anderson retired his final 17 hitters.
”We just could not mount an attack,” Cubs manager Joe Maddon said. ”Anderson has been difficult against us in the past and he was again tonight. There was not a whole lot going on. Two doubles beat us.”
Anderson had lost his three previous decisions against the Cubs as the Brewers had been shut out in each game. Taylor Williams and Jacob Barnes finished up for Milwaukee with an inning each.
”My command was kind of spotty,” Anderson said. ”I had a good fastball early. As I kept going the curveball came into play and the cutter a little bit. The changeup was good. I was able to throw all my pitches for strikes.”
Cubs right-hander Tyler Chatwood (3-5), who entered the game leading the major leagues in walks, showed better control while allowing four runs (three earned) and walking two batters in five innings.
”My last outing wasn’t pretty, but I felt like I worked on some stuff and took it into this outing,” Chatwood said.
TRAINERS ROOM
Cubs: RHP Yu Darvish threw 30 pitches in a bullpen session Tuesday, and Maddon was encouraged by what he saw. ”Outstanding. He threw really well,” Maddon said. ”Easy gas. Great location. Good spin on his breaking ball. Very impressed.” Darvish was put on the disabled list May 23 with right triceps tendinitis. Maddon said if there’s a chance for Darvish to return before the All-Star break, ”I’m into it. Whatever the doctors think.”
Brewers: RHP Matt Albers was placed on the 10-day disabled list with a right shoulder injury and RHP Jorge Lopez was recalled from Triple-A Colorado Springs. Albers allowed five runs and three hits in the 11th inning Monday night and took the loss in Milwaukee’s 7-2 defeat. ”He got to the point it was affecting him out there on the field and it’s just time to take a break,” Counsell said.
UP NEXT
Cubs: LHP Mike Montgomery (2-1, 3.56 ERA) will make his fourth start since replacing Darvish in the rotation. Montgomery is 2-0 with a 1.02 ERA in his three starts Derrick Henry Jersey Big , including a victory over Pittsburgh last week.
Brewers: RHP Jhoulys Chacin has emerged as the team’s ace this season (5-1, 3.58 ERA). The Brewers are 11-3 In his starts and opponents are batting .231 against him.

Jeremy Bates is getting another chance at running an NFL offense.
The New York Jets promoted the quarterbacks coach to offensive coordinator Wednesday, replacing the fired John Morton.
The team also hired Rick Dennison as offensive line coach/run game coordinator and Steve Jackson as assistant defensive backs coach. Bates also will continue his duties as quarterbacks coach.
Article continues below ... Bates takes over an offense that ranked 28th overall and struggled with consistency – resulting in Morton’s dismissal last month after just one season.
Bates was hired last offseason by coach Todd Bowles to work with the Jets’ quarterbacks after being out of football from 2013-16. The 41-year-old Bates has previous experience as an offensive coordinator, serving in that role for Seattle in 2010 under Pete Carroll.
”Jeremy is a talented coach who has a sound understanding of what it takes to build a successful offense,” Bowles said in a statement issued by the team. ”Having spent last season with us, he offers continuity and has a good sense of what we need to do to improve. I look forward to him working together with our offensive coaches.”
He has also worked as an assistant under Mike Shanahan in Denver and Jon Gruden in Tampa Bay during his coaching career.
The former college quarterback at Tennessee and Rice is the son of former college and NFL defensive coordinator Jim Bates.
The key question facing Jeremy Bates – as well as the entire franchise – is who the Jets’ quarterback will be next season. He helped Josh McCown have the best season of his lengthy NFL career, but the 38-year-old quarterback is scheduled to be a free agent and uncertain to return. New York also has Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg on the roster, but neither is considered the quarterback of the future.
The Jets could also be interested in Washington’s Kirk Cousins if he becomes available with the Redskins trading for Kansas City’s Alex Smith. New York holds the No. 6 overall pick in the NFL draft in April, and could target a quarterback with that selection.
Running back Matt Forte is uncertain to return, and a few other players on offense are potential free agents, including tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins, center Wesley Johnson Travis Konecny Jersey , backup linemen Dakota Dozier and Jonotthan Harrison.
Bates got his coaching career started in 2002 on Gruden’s staff in Tampa Bay, working in offensive quality control before becoming the assistant quarterbacks coach in 2004. He went to the Jets the following season as Herman Edwards’ quarterbacks coach. In 2006, Bates joined Shanahan’s staff in Denver as an offensive assistant before becoming the Broncos‘ quarterbacks coach the next year.
He went to USC in 2009 to be the Trojans‘ assistant head coach and quarterbacks coach under Carroll, who brought Bates with him to Seattle in 2010 to be the offensive coordinator. But he lasted just one year after the Seahawks ranked among the NFL’s worst offenses.
After a year out of football, Bates was hired by Chicago as the Bears‘ quarterbacks coach, a stint that again lasted just one season when coach Lovie Smith was fired.
Bates spent the next four seasons away from football, including solo hiking the 2,900-mile Continental Divide Trail from Mexico to Canada in 2014 – a soul-searching journey that took him about 5 1/2 months to complete.
”I think at the time it was the right time for me to step aside, find out some things about myself, and have the opportunity to do some other things outside of football,” Bates said last June. ”I did a lot of hiking, a lot of traveling. I stayed involved with the game. I’m not going to really focus on my last four years. At the end of the day Valtteri Filppula Jersey , I think it made me a better person, and I think it made me a better teacher.”
Dennison most recently served as Buffalo’s offensive coordinator, and served in the same role with Denver from 2015-16, and with Houston from 2010-13. He was a long-time assistant for the Broncos, where he coached from 1995-2009 and worked with Bates on the staff from 2006-08.
Jackson has spent 14 years as an assistant, including the last two as Tennessee’s assistant secondary coach. He has also worked for Detroit, Washington and Buffalo.

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules