Other OS

How to install Lxde desktop

14 10004
deenbee  
Hi there I need to know about install Lxde desktop for Arch
Give the codes for here, I don't understand because arch don't have a default system desktop as lxde or xfce is a minimal release do not like idea for beginers
ryad  
Post Last Edited by ryad at 2014-10-3 01:36

At first, you need a working xorg server. It's easy when installing the xf86-video-fbdev driver (which has no acceleration). To get accelerated xorg driver, I needed to compile it for myself.

If your xorg is working, you can easily install the "lxde" group as of https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LXDE .
Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Ryad
Edit: Add space before full stop after Arch Linux Wiki Link to avoid linking problems.

deenbee  
Reply 2# ryad

I don't understand keeping a hardwork to use a linux system, the lxde will be installed for default no need keep a hard work.

ryad  
Arch Linux targets the more advanced users who wants to have the full control over nearly everything and building up their customized system.

If you don't have the time or will to do so, I guess Arch Linux is just the wrong distribution for you. Have you tried Lubuntu? There you get an out-of-the-box experience with LXDE

deenbee  
Reply 4# ryad

Yes like Lubuntu more than Arch, but I think Arch have more app in the aur repositories, like Manjaro based on arch because manjaro have a default desktop ready to use, maybe in the future manjaro for banana pi can be true

Montala  
Post Last Edited by Montala at 2014-10-2 14:49

Hi,
Is there perhaps a chance that one of the clever folk who frequent this forum could offer (for download) a version of Arch Linux for the Banana Pi which already includes a LXDE desktop?
Thanks!

Post Last Edited by deathrattle at 2014-10-2 22:17

Just try it yourself. It is not very difficult.
User ryad did a reference to arch linux wiki in post #2 already.
This is a very good starting point to get familiar with linux os in general and especially arch.
Do a search for "pacman" within the arch wiki, read chapter "usage". "pacman" is arch linux package manager.

If you are using a windows os --> try the software "putty" to do remote-connection to the bananaPi. Or even connect your BPI to a monitor/screen and plug in a usb keyboard. The linux console, internet access and piece of curiosity is all you will need.

In case you stick to some problem related to your "mission" --> come back here and you will surely receive our help to get forward.

Montala  
Post Last Edited by Montala at 2014-10-2 15:34
At first, you need a working xorg server. It's easy when installing the xf86-video-fbdev driver (whi ...
ryad Posted at 2014-9-28 07:58
Hi Ryad,
I have just been reading up on some of your instructions, but the page to which you refer in the second paragraph of your earlier post does not currently contain any text!
Has it recently been removed, or can it perhaps be found elsewhere?
Thanks!
P.S. I think the previous poster might have rather overestimated my somewhat limited knowledge of Linux!

deenbee  
I think here no need external links, just put step by step how to install here

ryad  
@Montala: Sorry, the forum software modified my link because of the full stop. I "fixed" it. If I find the time, I'm going to build a simple Arch Linux distribution with LXDE and XFCE for you. But I strongly encourage you, to figure out yourself, it's worth it!

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules