Trouble

PhoenixCards wrote on hdd instead of SD

13 6414
Schildi  
Hi,

due to an lack of attention I accidentally did what everybody is scared about: I wrote with the phoenixcard to an HDD instead of the intended SD-cards.
Does anyone have any experience in restoring the HDD with that issue?

Today I started making an ddrescue image to another hdd and now let Testdisk go over it, but so far it's actually not looking very well.

regards
Schildi
Yes indeed, I had the same bad experience a few months ago
Fortunately I recovered everything from my USB hard drive with this:
https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm
No other recovery software compares to "GetDataBack Simple", it's simple the best

Schildi  
Thank you very much for that hint. I haven't heard yet about that program. And 80 Bugs is not pretty cheap but it seems that I need to invest that since Testdisk seems not to get it.

(Btw. very intresting pricing: on the US site the price is 79$ and on the german site is 94€ which is round about 117$)

@ Schildi - Very sorry to hear about your unfortunate error

@ actkk2000 - good to know there is a possible way of recovering data (but not cheap!!!)

Just as info, I added a link to this thread into the Wiki page at

http://wiki.lemaker.org/SD_card_installation

so that if anyone else has the same problem they know that help is on hand. Please keep posting here with as much information as possible about how things go.

Schildi  
@ roses2at: thanks thats a good idea.
btw. I just re-read that article right now and just want to point out that the PhoenixCard tool did NOT show me the size of the drive independent which drive I select or how much I click the "Disk Check" button.
I'm still sitting here with the TestDisk tool. As it is a 3TB disk (which was also nearly full) everything takes quite a time
I hope I can give "GetDataBack" tool already today a chance. As soon as I have some new I'll report it here.

Post Last Edited by roses2at at 2014-10-5 13:41

.....the PhoenixCard tool did NOT show me the size of the drive independent which drive I select or how much I click the "Disk Check" button.
Schildi Posted at 5-10-2014 12:47 PM

Please copy and paste here the exact section of the Wiki you are referring to. I cannot see where it says the bit about "size of the drive". Disk Check is only to make sure you choose the correct Drive Letter e.g. M and it does ask you to confirm if you want to "operate" [sic] the M drive.

Although I did not write that 'SD card installation' page from scratch, I have spent a lot of time editing it to (hopefully) make it as CLEAR and UNDERSTANDABLE for both native English speakers AND those for whom English is not their first language.

I am now concerned that this page has some sort of error or uncertainty which misled you somehow and it's important this is rectified ASAP.

Schildi  
You can stay calm ;-)  , everything is fine with your site. I refer not to the text, I refer to this picture:
where the size obviously may be read.

I just wanted to give a hint to other people maybe reading this forum post here. I don't want to bother or blame somebody. Sorry if that was a misleading post.

I refer not to the text, I refer to this picture
Schildi Posted at 5-10-2014 01:47 PM

Trying to keep as calm as possible!!!

OK, now I understand, it's the information in the main window of PhoenixCard where you saw that 'Disk Size' rather than the text of the Wiki. Phew!!!

I don't think your post was misleading, just perhaps my brain having an outing out on its own on a Sunday afternoon!!

I just tried and I cannot persuade PCard to reproduce that message. I am using an external 4-way card reader (SD, MMC, CF, micro SD) and therefore have four drive letters: L, M, N, & O, with N being the one for my SD card. (A CF card is M but no disk size reported; no other card types to try out.)

But I agree, by clicking on Disk Check, it just reverts to the lowest possible letter (L) and says '"Find 4 device, Please select correct the one" [sic].

In the screenshot, the version is 3.1.0, which is the same as ours, so I can only assume this was done on a laptop which only has one SD card slot and therefore PCard only sees that and reports its size.

Having said all that, AFAIK PCard is not a LeMaker product and therefore there is not much we can do to have it updated in terms of the quality of its English or its ease of use.

So if you're satisfied that the Wiki is helpful and informative, that's OK then. No-one thinks you are blaming anyone and you're certainly not bothering us.

It's good that you bring it to our attention so that somebody else does not do anything similarly catastrophic.

Please let us know if you are successful with your data recovery. If that software doesn't work, maybe someone can help you with another method.

Post Last Edited by roses2at at 2014-10-5 15:50

Added this paragraph to the Wiki:

Please note: although the text in the window of the above screenshot says "Device OK, the size of the device is XXXXX M", depending on your system and if it is an internal/external or single/multi-card reader, you may instead get only a message such as "Find 4 device, Please select correct the one" [sic].

Perhaps a bit too late for you Schildi, so sorry about that (but we "press our thumbs" for you)......

Schildi  
Hehe, everything is cool :-)

The current status for now: Testdisk could not help me very much. It could just restore some folder, which were not very interesting for me. (But maybe someone having the same problem may help that already.)
I tested the GetData Simple. It seems it could restore a bit more, but the result is very Strange. As it was (always) an external HDD, the folders in the root folder were like "Backups, Media, Documents .." etc. But what the GetData Tool provided was like the primary HDD of Windows, with folders like "Program Files, Windows ..." So I assume it found somehow one of my Backups and took that one for the entry point. There are a lot of files in the "Lost & Found" folder where single files are situated in nonspeaking folders (nonspeaking because of hex-values for the folder names). So I can see, sometimes, there are Pictures in folders. But I cannot open them (I guess that is the limitation of the demo). So there are thousands of nonspeaking folders containing different files of about 1TB (from originally 3TB). This would not yet satisfy me, as it is the same output I may receive from "photorec" from what I've understood so far.
So for now I give GetData NTFS a try with a deep scan (which is assumed to be finished in 5,5 hours").

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign Up

Points Rules